Flying over water discussion

Reaction score
When flying over water, I read a few times that the reflection will mess with the VPS. I flew over a lake at about 150 ft but was scared to go any lower. I would love to get some footage flying low across the lake. Any advise or things I should be aware of before I fly lower? Here is a video of my first and only time flying over a lake

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Moving water can trick the vps into thinking the AC is drifting in a hover or at very slow speed. I wouldn't worry unless you plan on hovering low.

When flying over water, I read a few times that the reflection will mess with the VPS. I flew over a lake at about 150 ft but was scared to go any lower. I would love to get some footage flying low across the lake. Any advise or things I should be aware of before I fly lower? Here is a video of my first and only time flying over a lake

VPS doesn't work unless it's under 30' AGL. Also, why not turn off VPS when flying over water? I think DJI added that option if I'm not mistaken.

Here's my BigBear lake flight a year ago. It was spooky landing on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: aermale and Isma
I've flown very low over water. It can help if you take off from near it's edge to set the altimeter close to the actual ht. of the water making it a bit easier to know just how low you are.

Ciao, uses the same care that you would use when you use the drone to the ground... than that, you can not go wrong!

I actually filmed for over 40 minutes on Sunday over water, but most of it was above 65 AGL. No issues encountered...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

VPS doesn't work unless it's under 30' AGL. Also, why not turn off VPS when flying over water? I think DJI added that option if I'm not mistaken.

Here's my BigBear lake flight a year ago. It was spooky landing on the ice.
Hello John this is a greta video. Is it taken with a p4P?

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

No issues encountered... off corse! The problem is prevent the drone loss when fly above the water :)

I'm not sure of your point? Have you seen a P4 when it crashes on land from 65' AGL or higher. Its not going to matter whether you are over water or land.

I flew as far as 2,500' horizontal out and beside a few FPV gltiches, it was fine.

Hello John this is a greta video. Is it taken with a p4P?

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app
This one was taken with my P3P, I use it on higher risk flights. Under the bridge I lost GPS due to the solid concrete structure, the craft went into ATTI mode and it was quite windy that day. The draft coming up the canyon under the bridge was a handful to compensate to escape collision with the dam. Major adrenaline rush. It all worked out.

I actually filmed for over 40 minutes on Sunday over water, but most of it was above 65 AGL. No issues encountered...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Nice footage! Do you have any tricks for being at the right place at the right time considering the limited battery life?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've been flying my Phantom 4 Pro over the ocean. This is Ala Moana Beach in Honolulu, island of Oahu, Hawaii. I've had my drone for three weeks. Still learning how to fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl