Flying over private property?

Reaction score
Anyone know what rules and regulations would apply to flying over private property while taking photos in California?

In the US, all airspace is under FAA jurisdiction (and, additionally, sometimes also "controlled"). Individuals cannot claim ownership of airspace and cannot deny (or allow) permission to fly in within airspace.

Generally, private property owners can only claim nuisance, recklessness, or violation of a state/city law. However, it's trespassing if take off/landing occurs from the property.

Reactions: Helihover
In the US, all airspace is under FAA jurisdiction (and, additionally, sometimes also "controlled"). Individuals cannot claim ownership of airspace and cannot deny (or allow) permission to fly in within airspace.

Generally, private property owners can only claim nuisance, recklessness, or violation of a state/city law. However, it's trespassing if take off/landing occurs from the property.

OK, that is my understanding as well. I just wasn't sure if taking photos of their property while flying over constituted a nuisance or breach of privacy.

For the record, this is farmland not like people's homes or anything.

Invasion of privacy falls under state law. These rules are always open to interpretation, but generally exist to prevent a deliberate invasions of privacy... such as maneuvering near windows of a house.

Jopa- he states while taking pictures, which could fall under invasion of privacy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
There is no law in CA you could be charged with in regards to "invasion of privacy". You have no privacy if you can be seen from the air. Now if you are in your house and some climbs over your walls to look in your windows... yes. But from the air, NO. Just ask any celebrity living in Malibu. Helicopters (and UAVs) can fly over anytime to get photos of the celebrity wedding... Noise complaints maybe. Endangering people maybe. But not privacy.

Is there a regulations as but flying over private property in ma or federally. ..best I've seen was 100 feet, would like to know before I contest the cops...I know helicopters fly over my house lower than I fly my drone I fly around 300 feet can't see how that's an invasion of privacy any help would be greatly appreciated

For questions like this contact your local FSDO. Do not take legal advice from an online forum. It's too easy to be a keyboard hero when you have nothing on the line to lose if your advice is wrong.

Mtrider420 welcome to the forum. I can understand where it "seems" like manned helo fly lower than your 300' but unless you're very experienced it's almost impossible to determine an aircraft's altitude with nothing to scale to reference it to.

Also take note that HELO can fly at any level from zero to infinity depending on their operation and status of flight.

For questions like this contact your local FSDO. Do not take legal advice from an online forum. It's too easy to be a keyboard hero when you have nothing on the line to lose if your advice is wrong.

Mtrider420 welcome to the forum. I can understand where it "seems" like manned helo fly lower than your 300' but unless you're very experienced it's almost impossible to determine an aircraft's altitude with nothing to scale to reference it to.

Also take note that HELO can fly at any level from zero to infinity depending on their operation and status of flight.
I know not sure of

Not sure of fsdo but will look into it thanks...I'm just looking into regulations...I do have some experience was in the military and flew in helos I know there about 100 feet or so above the house...main reason is the complaint works in the da'S office and I know about the blue wall my uncle was a cop I've stop flying in my neighborhood since than but I don't think it's right...her major complaint was the camera on it that's why I mentioned the helos because they have or the ability to have much better cameras ...just want to know the real regulations before I contest the cops, they accused me of not being registered before asking which I am, just figured 300 feet I'd need a real good camera to invade....thanks for the quick response

Privacy laws are local laws not FAA. You'll want to contact a local attorney to get that kind of advice.

Privacy laws are local laws not FAA. You'll want to contact a local attorney to get that kind of advice.
Ok thanks gonna look into it I just found out about the fsdo so gonna try them first....don't want to be wrong but I think there wrong at my altitude but like to know before hand...in my mind people cant own air space as long as I'm not flying low over 100 feet there's no pravicy issues but but b I'd like to know for sure...I'll update after I call the fsdo

Ok thanks gonna look into it I just found out about the fsdo so gonna try them first....don't want to be wrong but I think there wrong at my altitude but like to know before hand...in my mind people cant own air space as long as I'm not flying low over 100 feet there's no pravicy issues but but b I'd like to know for sure...I'll update after I call the fsdo

FAA (FSDO) Flight Standards District Offices - They are concerned about AVIATION Safety! They will refer anything to do with privacy etc back to local authorities. They are stretched thin enough as it is without enforcing local ordinances.

Reactions: bad karma

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen