Flying in a Thunderstorm

S3.jpg

S13.png
Incredible! Please share how you took those stunning photos (technique, settings, etc.).

Incredible! Please share how you took those stunning photos (technique, settings, etc.).
Storm was just going to skim past our town watching on radar so it was coming in from the West moving South East. Sun was behind the storm. Storm was about 7-10 miles out so rain wasn't a factor. You could hear the thunder so using the common math new how far out it was.

Settings were the basic settings 1080 video with the setting of a negative .03 or .3 not sure which first click on the dial to the left on the right side of the controller (light settings). Also changed the gimble to allow it to go up additional 30% so this shot was between 5-10% above 90. This was a video with the still shot of the lightening strike captured from the video. I have about 20 plus of different strikes from this storm. (Also knew I would get a great light show being how it has stormed likes this for 2 weeks straight. Most storms were hitting at 4AM however)

That is both unbelievably awesome, and a terrible idea [emoji23]
But it worked for you, so I guess it was a good idea this time!
Great pics!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is giving me ideas for the summer!
I doubt the drone being hit with lightning should be much of a concern since it's made of plastic with a high electrical resistance.

That is both unbelievably awesome, and a terrible idea [emoji23]
But it worked for you, so I guess it was a good idea this time!
Great pics!

Storms that put out gust fronts are what you have to be weary of. This is the outflow of a thunderstorm and can come from any direction. Just keep an eye on the radar for any signs of a gust front and don't fly in those. Winds can reach 60 MPH and usually average 30-40 MPH enough to make it very hard to recover from and easily become disorientated and start panic mode. Hitting home button during something like that won't be an option. Storms in the 30K to 45K tops range are ideal for shooting. The 50K-60K tops I would stay away from those.

My goal is to capture a tornado or water spout from a safe distance. Problem is front side of the storm will have rain and the backside best viewing side will have RFD winds of 70 plus.

This was my favorite from the shoot. I also captured a ground to cloud lightning strike. Those are rare.
S15.png

Reactions: DAVEJF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl