Flying below take off elevation...

Reaction score
If was to take off on the top side of a cliff, will my phantom 3 pro be able to fly to the bottom of the clif face? Or will it recognize that it is below take off elevation and shut down my motors? Thanks, scared to try first hand without knowing.

will it recognize that it is below take off elevation and shut down my motors?
No. The only thing that'll happen is the altitude will display as a negative number in DJI GO.

Reactions: Rehaume85
If was to take off on the top side of a cliff, will my phantom 3 pro be able to fly to the bottom of the clif face? Or will it recognize that it is below take off elevation and shut down my motors? Thanks, scared to try first hand without knowing.
Msinger is correct, I had that same concern once,
Yup your height will be in a negative and if it goes into RTH your bird will ascend to the 30 m above original take-off altitude (if it’s set to 30m) and come home, no worries, I got some really cool vid flying over this deep river valley we have. Enjoy

Reactions: Rehaume85

Just remember to reserve enough battery to get you back up and then land with at least 25% battery left just in case. Going down requires less amperage than coming back up. How high of a cliff is it?

Reactions: Quest-So
DJI understood that people may fly from a high point and haven't programmed any nasty surprises if you fly lower than the launch point.
The only thing different is that there will be a minus sign in front of the altitude displayed.
i-xvHVfcz-M.png

Something to consider ... I often fly lower than Take-off point .... river valleys etc.

When doing this - you cannot use the altitude reading on the screen unless you know the actual height difference Take-off point to bottom of location you fly into. The -figure shown is take-off point down to AC height ... NOT height above ground. I know it is obvious - but in the heat of flight - its easy to forget.

It makes it difficult when looking down to know how close to ground / rocks etc. ... your perception of position relative to surroundings gets hard to sort. You have no visual of the gap. Relying on screen needs to be slow and careful ....

Nigel

Reactions: Former Member
Something to consider ... I often fly lower than Take-off point .... river valleys etc.

When doing this - you cannot use the altitude reading on the screen unless you know the actual height difference Take-off point to bottom of location you fly into. The -figure shown is take-off point down to AC height ... NOT height above ground. I know it is obvious - but in the heat of flight - its easy to forget.

It makes it difficult when looking down to know how close to ground / rocks etc. ... your perception of position relative to surroundings gets hard to sort. You have no visual of the gap. Relying on screen needs to be slow and careful ....

Nigel

Excellent point.

Also, the antenna systems were designed to work best when the aircraft is above the controller.
Reversing this relationship will in many situations reduce effectiveness.

Reactions: Former Member

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor