Flying around Junkyard

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this may be a dumb question but I'm new to this and was unable to find another post of similar concern. I'd love to get some footage of a nearby junkyard but I'm a little apprehensive. Will the massive amounts of metal in such a condensed area cause problems with my compass and GPS? Like I said, this is probably a stupid question but I'd rather be safe than sorry...

-Deuce

Being "safe than sorry" is the only way to keep your Phantom safe and airborne. I've flown over an aircraft junkyard with dozens of busted up planes with no problems, though I stayed away from some nearby high voltage power lines. I don't believe you'll have any problems. Sounds like an interesting flight.

Being "safe than sorry" is the only way to keep your Phantom safe and airborne. I've flown over an aircraft junkyard with dozens of busted up planes with no problems, though I stayed away from some nearby high voltage power lines. I don't believe you'll have any problems. Sounds like an interesting flight.
Thanks guys. I figured I would be ok, the majority of my flights are in city limits around buildings and traffic anyway, just wanted to be certain. I want to keep my Phantom as long as possible, lol. Maybe I'll post some pics after my fly over!

-Deuce

Reactions: lynck

Just FYI
Aircraft are typically made of aluminum and other light metals. Titanium e.g.
So not a valid comparison to an auto junkyard consisting of mostly ferrous metals.

Not saying your conclusion is wrong. I have no idea.
Just saying.

Good luck
Bill

Just did a flyover of an old steel mill with tons of old scrap metal and steel buildings. Not even a hiccup from my Phantom.

Reactions: ArmyVet

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl