Flying around a house fire is wrong, right?

If you want to report it start here it only takes a few minutes to make a report. Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)

Debate rolls on.....Drone content on YouTube, someone is making money off the content, so should be a 107 flight. Then it’s a night flight so where’s the waiver.

Just being on YouTube doesn't necessarily mean non-recreational, unless it's a monetized channel, which this one appears not to be.

Is there anything more I can do about it? This guy really got under my skin. Maybe if you guys went and commented on his YouTube video?

There's no point in that, just poking the bear. He obviously doesn't give a crap. Just report as suggested above.

Eventually, if he keeps up this behaviour, his luck will run out.
There are those people out there with the money to purchase a drone but not the common sense to operate it responsibly.

In Canada, if you are caught anywhere near a 'first responder' situation(dwelling fire, motor vehicle accident,hostage situation, etc.), you will be fined $3,000 and your drone taken.
Period.

Unfortunately, when the drone regulations were established last year, Transport Canada downloaded responsibility for enforcing them to local police departments.
And those guys are way too busy attending to these incidents to go after irresponsible drone pilots.

But here's an example of how a bad drone pilot may get caught:

About a month ago, there was a major oil refinery fire in my town.
The refinery property is a 'no fly zone', yet, at the height of the fire, some drone pilot flew over the oil tanks and hovered overhead shooting video.

This same individual wanted to be recognized and, when he allowed a major news outlet to use his video, he wanted his name right there in the top right hand corner as a credit.

I wonder if he realizes that he has just identified himself as the pilot of the drone shooting the video?!

All the police have to do now is find this person and hand them the $3,000 fine as well as take the drone. :)

Except the cops have much more pressing things to do with their time. Reality check- unless someone gets hurt and makes the news, no one really cares. I'm not saying it's right, it just is.

Reactions: MTO and BigAl07
It was also less than 5 miles from an airport but I'm sure he call to let them in know he was flying... I'll let it be this time but I'm going to send a message to the fire chief and keep an eye on his channel.
If The surface of the manned aircraft is above surface level and you are flying under 107, you do not require to call the airport. That applies to the soon to be defunct 336.

... That applies to the soon to be defunct 336.

It's a tad bit early to make such a strong and definitive claim. What comes out of those changes is all still up in the air. Until it's formalized, 336 is still alive and well (unfortunately).

Reactions: Ansia
I'm new and not sure what's right, but these are the problems of the guy who posted the video. I have a negative attitude to this, this is someone's private life, and he showed it to millions of people. By and large, you have done the same thing. Spread his video.

So there was a fire in my town last night. Right away my brothers called me to get in the air and I told him I couldn't because it's probably a TFR situation. Well, I was just on Facebook and noticed someone posted a video from a drone. I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are on this before I say something. I'm not looking to make the guy feel bad, just let him know it was a bad idea, if it was. I'll try and get the videos url and share it so you guys can see. He did do a good job of filming from the few seconds I saw.
I ‘m going to take a different position then most. I don’t know exactly what the FAA rules are but I believe it pertains to interference with responders. In this video it appears the pilot wasn’t interfering with anyone. I guess it’s ok for the local news to get pictures but not amateur pilots? Before everyone harps about flying over people, if you fly anywhere other than a forest at some point and time you will fly over someone. In this video he wasn’t constantly flying over anyone. The only way to see if the pilot did was to see a downward view from the drones camera. I for one believe I should be able to get these shots if I do it in a responsible way and don’t interfere with emergency responders.

If The surface of the manned aircraft is above surface level and you are flying under 107, you do not require to call the airport. That applies to the soon to be defunct 336.
Don’t understand what you said. Surface of the manned aircraft? Is above surface level?

I ‘m going to take a different position then most. I don’t know exactly what the FAA rules are but I believe it pertains to interference with responders. In this video it appears the pilot wasn’t interfering with anyone. I guess it’s ok for the local news to get pictures but not amateur pilots? Before everyone harps about flying over people, if you fly anywhere other than a forest at some point and time you will fly over someone. In this video he wasn’t constantly flying over anyone. The only way to see if the pilot did was to see a downward view from the drones camera. I for one believe I should be able to get these shots if I do it in a responsible way and don’t interfere with emergency responders.
Incredible. I don’t know the rules but I have the right to fly my drone in any way that I feel is okay. No wonder we get more and more regulated.

So there was a fire in my town last night. Right away my brothers called me to get in the air and I told him I couldn't because it's probably a TFR situation. Well, I was just on Facebook and noticed someone posted a video from a drone. I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are on this before I say something. I'm not looking to make the guy feel bad, just let him know it was a bad idea, if it was. I'll try and get the videos url and share it so you guys can see. He did do a good job of filming from the few seconds I saw.

I can only speak from the perspective of a professional firefighter for a major city in Southern California who is actively trying to get a sUAS program up and running smoothly... I would suggest that hobbyists NOT put a drone up over an incident. Aside from the possibility of a malfunction where the drone could fall out of the sky and injure emergency personnel, there is also the real possibility of permanently damaging a drone from the excessive smoke.
While it is very tempting to get that “money shot” during a critical emergency, I would suggest keeping your drone at home during emergency operations and let professionals do their job on the ground and in the air.
I just spent a week on a strike team in Southern California on the Woolsey Fire and saw many opportunities where an AUTHORIZED DRONE could be used constructively to help our efforts but there are many safety issues that need to be considered before an AUTHORIZED DRONE could be used such as direct radio communication with water dropping aircraft.
When dealing with structure fires, direct and authorized communication with news helicopters should be taking place. Bottom line is that it’s best to keep your drone away from the incident unless requested by a Public Safety Officer.

Last edited:

The difference is that news crews will be coordinating their flights with emergency services.

We had an apartment fire here last year and I drove out to check on it and have to admit it was tempting but then I looked at the residents standing there watching there living quarters burning an I thought to fly here now would be so disrespectful and unkind. I never gave the TFR a thought I just believed this was not a good time.

Reactions: V tail
Well, you really told him off!

"I was not saying your content was bad...I was trying to inform you...I was trying to save you thousands of dollars in fines...you did a good job...I looked into it further and its not illegal."

Look, if his action pissed you off bc you know he broke the law (you were wrong here. It IS ILLEGAL!), don't contact and reprimand him (and as you see he didn't give a darn!), that's harassment. Call your local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) and report the video. All the information they may need about him is in the ABOUT section of his youTube Channel: Full Name, address and ph# (on his website ). The FAA is looking for this kind of help. They can't to it all themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Incredible. I don’t know the rules but I have the right to fly my drone in any way that I feel is okay. No wonder we get more and more regulated.
Capture.JPG

Consider reaching out to you local FD to see if you could act in coordination with them.
Perhaps start out offering to shoot one of their drills so they could review it and give feedback to participants.
This would allow you to built a relationship so in the event of an actual fire or other action you could work with their blessing.
BTW I never met a firefighter or medic that didn't like having videos or photos of them in action, assuming you didn't interfere.

I do that locally at the request of the fire chief. Just stay the **** out of their way. It's 4k video so you don't need to be on top of them for good video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t understand what you said. Surface of the manned aircraft? Is above surface level?
That is correct. Manned aircrafts can't go above or below certain heights while in flight. As you approach an airport, the surface height lowers until it reaches the ground. That being said, you may find areas where military aircraft may go below the indicated surface height, also helicopters aren't limited to this and you may find one in your airspace. They alwsys have right of way.

Flying drones is not a right. You are your own person and you are free to do as you wish. That being said, I suggest you familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations. It will make your flying and those around you safer.

Never said I had the right. However please tell me a pilot that has never flown over a person even once regardless of the height. Also if you have a DJI tell me that you have never flown outside your sight of vision.

Never said I had the right. However please tell me a pilot that has never flown over a person even once regardless of the height. Also if you have a DJI tell me that you have never flown outside your sight of vision.
We all have done it once or twice. I beleive he is talking about himself and not directed at you.

I live near a small (1500 pop) town in northern Illinois farm country. A little over a year ago, I saw some heavy smoke a few miles from my house, I drove that way to check it out and it turned out to be a major grass/brush fire involving farm buildings. There were two departments providing mutual aid to the local district; all volunteer. Years ago, I was an officer/photographer on one of the mutual aid departments and am now a resident in the district with the fire. There was no way I was going to walk into that mayhem, without gear to get permission. I mentioned to a mutual aid chief directing tankers, that I could fly a drone to give an aerial view. He said if it was his fire, he wouldn't give a ****, but couldn't answer for the OIC. I understood that, and he didn't appear to want to check for me, so I stood back for a while and left. I've known the local chief for most of my life and I'm pretty sure he didn't give a hoot either, but I was not flying without the OK. Being a former photographer for the neighboring department, made it quite difficult to walk away without any shots. I think it might have been an asset to get an overhead look, as it was in a woods, fields and buildings. I thought about discussing it with the surrounding chiefs and get some sort of pre plan for such a situation. I've neglected to pursue it, but may at some point. Sure, it might provide some dramatic footage. But from my experience, it would most likely provide immediate assistance, as well as training material for the crews. So I understand the temptation, but respect the self control to refrain from an unauthorized intrusion. I am Part 107 certified, so I'm sure with everyone on board, the bases would be covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sar104

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18