Flight Distance

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 3 Advanced several years old but seldom used. I recently flew over water (not in Beginner mode) and found the flying distance restricted to 500m. I understood the potential to be over 1 mile particularly when unobstructed. Is this a limit imposed by the app? or firmware. Flying in Canada. Perhaps due to legislation re recreational drone laws.

Flying in Canada the max distance you're allowed to fly is 500m away and 90m up. Both settings can be changed in the app though. Legally speaking you must also maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) which is almost impossible. 300m is typically the max distance where you will still be able to see the aircraft.

Flying in Canada the max distance you're allowed to fly is 500m away and 90m up. Both settings can be changed in the app though. Legally speaking you must also maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) which is almost impossible. 300m is typically the max distance where you will still be able to see the aircraft.
Just went to app Main Controller settings "Set Max Flight Distance" parameters show (15-500m) will not accept entry over 500m

Just went to app Main Controller settings "Set Max Flight Distance" parameters show (15-500m) will not accept entry over 500m
Turn off the slide switch to disable max distance.

That one is for height and will not go over 500m .

After you slide max dictance off I think you also have to log out of your DJI account and log back in to lift the restriction. I had to on my p3 se. I don’t know if it the same for the advance.

Blue skies

I did the above to increase distance but haven’t logged out then back into dji account .. how do you do that? Through the app?

Yes when you go to your go app go to main page and look for the symbol ME and hit the gear icon look at the bottom of page and you’ll see the log out button. Do the reverse to log back in. If you need more help let me know

Reactions: Mobisave
There are several videos on YouTube about removing the distance limit (mainly because of antenna modifications).

I've been about 2.39 miles offshore with my P3A, (with a cheap eBay windsurfer directional antenna cover). And if anyone asks, my spotter had binoculars to maintain the line of sight(LOS). ;)

(That's my story and I'm sticking to it)

There are several videos on YouTube about removing the distance limit (mainly because of antenna modifications).

I've been about 2.39 miles offshore with my P3A, (with a cheap eBay windsurfer directional antenna cover). And if anyone asks, my spotter had binoculars to maintain the line of sight(LOS). ;)

Thanks for sharing your video. How much battery reserve after that flight?

Reactions: DenMac
Oh, not much at all, it was a calm day, and I don't think I was at dangerous levels, but I think it was in the 20% range upon landing. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be too low on battery if I encountered a head wind.

You are brave lol. Excellent demonstration of the range of these AC.

Yes when you go to your go app go to main page and look for the symbol ME and hit the gear icon look at the bottom of page and you’ll see the log out button. Do the reverse to log back in. If you need more help let me know
Thx for the reply! Logged out then in .. will try flying today!

Reactions: DenMac

I think you better find another story to stick to. Spotter or not, you are not allowed to use binoculars to maintain VLOS.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart