Flew up 4400ft, could not descend fast enough. CSC?

After daddy buys you a new one take it up real high. Do the CSC straight overhead then try to catch it.

Common sense isn't very common.

How would the OP know he was at 4400 feet unless there was some additional sensor on the drone? I'm pretty sure this information is fed via WiFi and I can't see that being extended to 4400 feet without a serious additional set up.

tcope said:
How would the OP know he was at 4400 feet unless there was some additional sensor on the drone? I'm pretty sure this information is fed via WiFi and I can't see that being extended to 4400 feet without a serious additional set up.
The OP was flying a non-Vision. So he could know via a Flytrex Core (2) or telemetry displayed via iOSD on an FPV setup.

A faster way to descent is going down and forward sticks - yawing in circles (spiral down)... more than 12 mts/sec using gravity instead of just power of motors.

No additional comments about this guy. Only have to say: "Nature is wise"... it makes "Natural Selection": that Phantom won't back at 4400" anytime :ugeek:

Meta4 said:
Sounds like you need to revise some basic arithmetic.
The Phantom descends at 1/3 the speed it climbs.
Now you have learned that.
Any idiot should be able to work out that it isn't safe to use more than 20% of your battery going up because you are going to use 3x (60%) coming back down. This leaves a safety margin of 20%.
Safety might be a new concept to you. Perhaps one you should become familiar with.

ps .. flying 4400 feet up with a Phantom is plain STUPID.
Obviously stupider than you understand even now.

I agree. You have no business flying that high.

Question: What kind of area were you flying that high over when the quad dropped like a rock?

Yes a thread dedicated to disasters, and ways to survive

Just how deep can a rotor cut, open wounds, who has the biggest
How long in the water, salt and fresh
Biggest payloads and how it didn't work
How high and best ways to end the nightmares
Just how many ways we destroy our little beasties

Yes I want to see as well, lol pilsburypie

Wow, the childish name calling here is absolutely unbelievable. And un-deserved. Are there any grown-ups left here??

andisblue said:
Another thought (if preset), would manual mode have uncapped my descent rate?
Yes, manual mode would have let you come down as fast as you want. Maintain some forward motion to keep from entering VRS then you can switch back to ATTI when you get 20-30 ft from the ground.

QYV said:
OP doesn't have a location listed but assuming he's based in the US I don't believe we should give advice to people regarding flagrant, irresponsible violations of the law, other than to not do that when they fly. Look I'm no angel, way out in the country or woods I don't necessarily stay at 400' but even I've never been over 650' (200m). Heights like he described are reckless and dangerous and simply shouldn't be done you are well into aircraft airspace. that's all the device this OP deserves imo.
Nothing the OP did is in violation of the FAA regulations.

Please, people - GROW UP!

SteveMann said:

What is it about the OPs post which makes you think that his activities come under FAA regulations ?.... Unless the meaning of the word Federal has now changed ? ;)

SteveMann said:
Wow, the childish name calling here is absolutely unbelievable. And un-deserved. Are there any grown-ups left here??

andisblue said:
Yes, manual mode would have let you come down as fast as you want. Maintain some forward motion to keep from entering VRS then you can switch back to ATTI when you get 20-30 ft from the ground.

QYV said:
OP doesn't have a location listed but assuming he's based in the US I don't believe we should give advice to people regarding flagrant, irresponsible violations of the law, other than to not do that when they fly. Look I'm no angel, way out in the country or woods I don't necessarily stay at 400' but even I've never been over 650' (200m). Heights like he described are reckless and dangerous and simply shouldn't be done you are well into aircraft airspace. that's all the device this OP deserves imo.

I'd say what they s childish is just taking a drone up in FAA airspace and then loosing control.... Or what would u call that

SteveMann said:

andisblue said:

QYV said:

As a qualified pilot I beg to differ. Perhaps go and read the basic altitude rules before commenting. I would recommend that the user rather spend time learning the basics of flying the craft, studying the limitations of the craft and then after understanding what it can and cannot do, trying again. This is the exact reason why the FAA are giving drone flyers such bad reps. First off, u have to treat the craft the same way u do a commercial heli. If u don't know what ur power limitations are u cant fly the craft safely.

Just for your information - This might clear the matter

In the United States in particular, the Federal Aviation Administration calls this concept the minimum safe altitude (MSA), and specifically defines it as follows in §119 of Part 91 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR):

Anywhere: an altitude allowing a safe emergency landing without undue hazard to person or property on the ground;
Over Congested Areas: an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of less than 2,000 feet;
Over Populated Areas: an altitude of 500 feet AGL;
Over Open Water or Sparsely Populated Areas: an altitude allowing for a linear distance greater than 500 feet from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure;

That doesn't make anything clear.
The concept of a minimum safe altitude is for real planes and helicopters - not quadcopters.
A Phantom has no way of making a safe emergency landing - it can only fall.

I love the way everyone jumps on the kid for being stupid and reckless, but i have asked this question several times before with no answer.

Can you use CSC to drop safely to a lower altitude and recover?

Let's put it into terms that all you "by the book, never break a rule pilots" will understand.
Lets say you are safely flying at 400 feet and your genuine DJI battery suddenly drops from 50% to 20%. You start to descend and can do the math and there is no way that you will safely reach the ground at the rate the battery is dropping.

Do you let it run out and crash or do you use CSC?
I am sure someone has done it...

badbrad97 said:
I love the way everyone jumps on the kid for being stupid and reckless, but i have asked this question several times before with no answer.

Let's put it into terms that all you "by the book, never break a rule pilots" will understand.
Lets say you are safely flying at 400 feet and your genuine DJI battery suddenly drops from 50% to 20%. You start to descend and can do the math and there is no way that you will safely reach the ground at the rate the battery is dropping.

Here is a video of my early Phantom 1 that when I started a take off it went to full throttle without any input from me. I reacted quickly and shut the motors down. You can hear me restarting them but I was to close to the ground. One broken prop and broken go pro mount. http://www.jimandsusan.com/crash.html. I think if I had more altitude it would have recovered.

badbrad97 said:

It looks as if you need about 100' after the motors have started up to arrest the rate of decent. Some idiot tried this over a residential area after climbing to 6000' on you tube.

The Original poster is probably long gone from this forum since he got beat up. I am not in the business of telling anyone what they can do with their money, but I would say this make sure that you understand the limitations of your craft. I honestly don't think DJi made the phantom for dare devils to take it up the clouds..OP learn from your mistakes and improve.

Hughie said:
SteveMann said:

What is it about the OPs post which makes you think that his activities come under FAA regulations ?.... Unless the meaning of the word Federal has now changed ? ;)

He has used US English spelling in another post.

Does anybody else find it interesting(boring) that forums are full of amateur lawyers..
This isn't the worst, but getting there.

landmannnn said:
Hughie said:

landmannnn said:
He has used US English spelling in another post.
That is a big stretch that you can pin point his location based on one letter. You should see how many people spell like that in the UK :eek:
landmannnn said:
Does anybody else find it interesting(boring) that forums are full of amateur lawyers..
This isn't the worst, but getting there.
Absolutely. It gets on my tits.

Hughie said:
badbrad97 said:

It looks as if you need about 100' after the motors have started up to arrest the rate of decent. Some idiot tried this over a residential area after climbing to 6000' on you tube.

Thank you. That is what I have always wondered.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart