Fell Out of Sky - Total Loss

So basically just toss the battery in charger for like 5 minutes. Done.
I think that's uncharted territory. I think it's already been discussed that a battery that is in a discharge state comes out of the discharge state as soon as the battery is powered on. So would charging it five minutes help?

I buy and sell quads and they are good guys over there and make sure you buy the insurance I've used it and it saved my life.give me a call and I might be able to further guid you my number is 260-310-0318

Hi all ,,, Rob from oz here ,, just as a test ,, i have tested my p2v+ with 3 battery`s of low voltage to see what would happen , ( incase i by mistake ) loaded a low batt ,,, WELL BUGGA ME ,, i first put a 75% and then a 50% and a 25% ,,,,nothing at all ,,, p2v+ worked perfect >
so then i did some low level flight to drain the batteries to 22% 20% and 16% ,, same take off`s were perfectly ,, the 16% said low batt ,,, not enough power for return ,,, still flew home and still worked as it should ,,,,, MAYBE I HAVE A GOOD ONE ,,
FLY`S GREAT the pic is the flat battery showing the camera is working great
no people were around and the closest property was 400Metres away ,,,

Attachments

• DJI00118.JPG
    DJI00118.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 333
Flew my Vision Plus for about 7 months and bought this P2A on release date. Never had any problems... until tonight. Wanted to get some night shots so I drove out and got permission. Set drone up and waited about 45 seconds for it to warm up. Started the motors and got a home lock. Manually launched about 30' in the air and hovered for about 3 seconds. All of a sudden everything shut down. No motors, no lights. Fell right down onto the parking lot. Battery bounced out, camera was ripped off and landing gear was bent.

I've posted the photos of the damage and here is the link to the flight logs.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Nothing to see as I read it as it was only in the air for about 5 seconds. No errors.

I'm set to fly down to Florida next week and worked the P3 into those plans. Very bad timing. So I think I'm going to buy another one locally before I leave next week. Kills me that I need to spend another $1250 out of my pocket but this is the price paid for such a hobby. I'll be buying from Drone Etc as they are local. They alos give quotes on repairs so I might drop the old one off to them and see if it might be worth repairing to sell. If nothing else, I'll see about getting one with the new motors. I'm one who does not think there is any real difference but it might make me feel a bit better about the purchase. Also, there is a deal right now for a free DJI case and I can save $50 to offset local tax.

View attachment 37695 View attachment 37696
Flew my Vision Plus for about 7 months and bought this P2A on release date. Never had any problems... until tonight. Wanted to get some night shots so I drove out and got permission. Set drone up and waited about 45 seconds for it to warm up. Started the motors and got a home lock. Manually launched about 30' in the air and hovered for about 3 seconds. All of a sudden everything shut down. No motors, no lights. Fell right down onto the parking lot. Battery bounced out, camera was ripped off and landing gear was bent.

Nothing to see as I read it as it was only in the air for about 5 seconds. No errors.

I'm set to fly down to Florida next week and worked the P3 into those plans. Very bad timing. So I think I'm going to buy another one locally before I leave next week. Kills me that I need to spend another $1250 out of my pocket but this is the price paid for such a hobby. I'll be buying from Drone Etc as they are local. They alos give quotes on repairs so I might drop the old one off to them and see if it might be worth repairing to sell. If nothing else, I'll see about getting one with the new motors. I'm one who does not think there is any real difference but it might make me feel a bit better about the purchase. Also, there is a deal right now for a free DJI case and I can save $50 to offset local tax.

This happened to me also , battery was around 68% took off hovered for a few seconds then flew for a total of around 23 sec , then plummeted to the ground from around 20 odd feet.
the camera broke off and the leg snapped . I had 5 people watching who can verify that it just came down in an open field.
no logs but I have a part video ( up until it went down) . I then flew it twice for over 5 mins (without the camera) to check if the battery was at fault . I had no problems and logs were created.(so it wasn't the battery !) Its been sent back to the shop and has been away for over a month now
what should I do ---- any help

60% battery shouldn't cause a drop off, If that is the case, the low battery warning should be set at 99%.
See finally we have found a flaw in the battery FW. That was the point I was making it earlier.

Yet another crash when taking off on a partially discharged battery, sorry for your loss
From your flight log:
Take off Battery
61%

Some good advice here:
Phantom’s Falling From The Sky | Phantom Addicts
That shouldn't be the problem. After all , even a fully charged battery is going to discharge when flying. Would it be pilot error if a quad dropped outta the sky when the battery was 61%? Give some of us a break with the pat answers.

Why should @dji be responsible to babysit your panty waist? Charge your F'ing (flying) battery before you take off.
That's probably why they included a charger in every kit. ;-)

RedHotPoker
What about a touch and go. Should I charge my battery after flying 5 minutes and taking off again?

I 'think', once the battery is sufficiently warmed up from flying, or just running, it should be safer than a cold one at the same low voltages.
It's recommended to let a cold bird hover a minute or so always, to let it warm up a hot minute, and watch for any unusual or erratic behavior before venturing off into the wild blue yonder, above. It's well worth the extra effort.;-)

But why are you landing several times per session? Just go up and complete a battery worth of air time. It's marvelous, exhiliarating, a feeling of euphoria, phantasmagoria, or in French FanTuckingFastic!!

RedHotPoker
I guess your style of flying is the only correct way. Pathetic.

Don't let some of these forum members try to ruin your day. Many are egocentric and self serving. They truly feel that if ya, don't do it their way you're doing it wrong. That's a Psychological problem they have to deal with.

Reactions: Anthony Newman
I guess your style of flying is the only correct way. Pathetic.

Don't let some of these forum members try to ruin your day. Many are egocentric and self serving. They truly feel that if ya, don't do it their way you're doing it wrong. That's a Psychological problem they have to deal with.
"Word to your mother"!

What about a touch and go. Should I charge my battery after flying 5 minutes and taking off again?
Why you, can do what ever you choose. Touch and go or just keep going. What difference does it make to me? You have your experience and knowledge to help guide you. Have a great time. ;-)
Giving suggestions is one thing, getting people to listen to reason is something completely different.

RedHotPoker

After a minute or 2 I got alarm and battery failure on the APP. Landet after couple of minutes and discovered that the battery was not properly installed. It was 3-4 mm out of its cradle not snapped in and locked. It would be hard to find the failure if it crashed! Better preeflight is an option!

Reactions: John N Kronyak
I think when this problem first surfaced (not just in this thread but other threads too), most of us thought the problem had to do with a not-fully-charged battery being used for flight. After all, DJI says to always use a fully charged battery before each flight. But if one reads through this entire thread and other threads like it - it seems likely the drop from the sky problem has something to do with the auto-discharge of the battery used.

In other words, it seems the battery, for some reason, sometimes shuts down during flight if it had previously entered auto-discharge and then was not fully charged prior to a flight. On the other hand, if one uses a battery, brings the craft down, turns it off. And then uses the battery again that day, it is fine - even if the battery is significantly less than a full charge. Many pilots have said they do this all the time and have never had a problem.

The problem seems to be related to the auto-discharge. And as already stated by somebody somewhere, the auto-discharged battery comes out of auto-discharge the moment it is turned on. So the problem is not that the battery is in auto-discharge. The problem is the battery had been in auto-discharge.

Fully charging the battery solves the problem. Would partially charging the battery solve the problem? I don't think we know yet.

Why you, can do what ever you choose. Touch and go or just keep going. What difference does it make to me? You have your experience and knowledge to help guide you. Have a great time. ;-)
Giving suggestions is one thing, getting people to listen to reason is something completely different.

RedHotPoker
Gotta understand your sense of humor or not.No need to apologize.

[QUOTE="Better preeflight is an option![/QUOTE]
I agree. It is the only option.

We are talking about unmanned aerial vehicles here. Any pilot worth anything knows a thorough pre-flight saves planes and lives.
And a lot of crashes are due to failure to complete a due-diligent pre-flight.

Not all UAV accidents are avoidable, but a majority of them are due to pilot error or lack of thorough pre-flight. Heck, even major commercial disasters have been show to have the root cause of the pilots skipping some pre-flight checks (like last time wings were de-iced so the flight never gained full power ended up hitting bridge and in a river in Winter with most souls lost).

Sure, DJI could "nanny-fy" the pre-flight for you as a precaution (and experienced pilots would whine about the "nannification" being intrusive), but until they do, put your big boy pants on and do a thorough pre-flight. It your a$$ if you don't.

Very true.

All current issues are listed for future resolution, :)

..Stress cracks on shells
..Major vibrations
..Sudden death of P3 during flights
..Unpredictable batteries
..Scary battery internal wiring
..Props flying off
..Bad software installers, need downgrade and upgrade
..No site where known issues are listed and ETA from DJI is committed
..many more

Alokbhargava
Man your alwys acting like you know every things, and i see your comments in each posts here your posts and comments every where,?!?! With no reasons, ?.!?!?!

So strange haw you only attacking every one and act soo unprofessional, haw old are you 11 !?!?
Show some respect and crownup plz,

I am Not defending or convicting anyone. But simply curious why there have been so many verbal attacks, on the forums of Phantom 3 Pilots lately. Seems many are beginning to get frustrated, and taking their personal anger, out on total strangers. No need to publicly humiliate ourselves, by pointing the crooked finger towards others.
Perhaps time to do a self evaluation, & please look in the mirror while attending your personality conflict. Check your SH!TTY attitude's at the forum door, Before you walk in here. ;-)
I personally have been on both ends of this conversation, given it, taken it. Neither end brings any Love...
Perhaps an Irish Coffee, would calm the rattled nerves. Ha
Now smile, it looks good on you. . .

RedHotPoker

I am Not defending or convicting anyone. But simply curious why there have been so many verbal attacks, on the forums of Phantom 3 Pilots lately. Seems many are beginning to get frustrated, and taking their personal anger, out on total strangers. No need to publicly humiliate ourselves, by pointing the crooked finger towards others.
Perhaps time to do a self evaluation, & please look in the mirror while attending your personality conflict. Check your SH!TTY attitude's at the forum door, Before you walk in here. ;-)
I personally have been on both ends of this conversation, given it, taken it. Neither end brings any Love...
Perhaps an Irish Coffee, would calm the rattled nerves. Ha
Now smile, it looks good on you. . .

RedHotPoker
If you take your own personal advice, we move closer to a site where more flyers will go for info.

Last edited:
Reactions: dottat4
If you take your own personal advice, we move closer to a site where more flyers will go for info.
My point exactly. That's why I said 'both ends' and 'ourselves'.
Feeling better now? That you got that bit of anger frustration, hatred, off of your heavy chest. Breathe easier already, eh? Glad that you got my drift. Our Good God may have mercy on your/our retched soul/s now.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl