Failsafe RTH - RC does not recover the connection

Reaction score
I've tried 2 Phantom 3 Professional testing the fail safe RTH feature. Both P3P behaves very dangerous, in my opinion, if I compare the same fail safe RTH of the Phantom 2 vision plus: it's very hard to gain back the connection from RC !!!
This is the use case that works perfectly on the P2V+ and not in the P3P:
1) fly far till connection is lost;
2) the aircraft trigger the failsafe RTH.. in the RC I see, correctly, "connection lost"
3) I wait till hear the aircraft close to me, but the RC still in red light

I've done 4 test and only in 1 the RC gain back the connection when the P3P was very closed to me (20/30mt).
In all the other test the P3P land perfectly but the RC still disconnected.

With P2V+ I used to gain back the connection without problem even the distance was very far (1km): switch from GPS to ATTI and than back to GPS... very easy and fast... I fly far, for ex 1km.. the P2 loose the connection and trigger RTH... when the P2 is at 900mt from me the RC connect automatically and I'm able to gain the control back !!!

With P3p, in my opinion, the behaviour is very dangerous because during failsafe RTH the RC is always disconnected and I cannot avoid obstacoles near me or I cannot land the aircraft in a secure place because the automatic landing, as you know, could be different for few meters...

So what is your experience with FailSafe RTH ? I'm doing something wrong or you are experienced the same issue ?

There is an issue the RTH function should allow you to gain control at anytime by flipping the S1 from GPS to Atti and back to GPS. If it's not that easy then something needs to be corrected. I would start with RC calibration and be sure you have already completed a good IMU and compass calibration. You should have control at all times as long as the quad is within range of the RC.

Hello azeta
I only have experience with a Phantom V2, but the way I regain control after a Failsafe RTH is as follows:-
1). Switch "Off" the power to the RC transmitter.
2). Move the switch S1 from GPS to any other position
3). Turn the power back "On" to the RC transmitter
at this point you should have control of the Phantom if it is within range.
You can now switch S1 back to GPS if you wish to do so.
I try this routine every time I intend to fly a long distance to make sure the Home position is locked in
and that the failsafe RTH is OK.
Hope this works for you.
Ciao Waylander

Reactions: grottoli
Ok, you are describing what I know very well because I own a p2v+... the issue I'm complaining for is on phantom 3 professional.. the rc does not have s1 or s2 switch..
So please help.. if anybody had experienced in this issue please post the solution or the trick if there exists...
Many thanks...

I have used RTH about a hundred times and never seen it lose connection and you can always resume control. Even if the all drops out you still have full control.
The p3 is 10 times better than p2 for RTH.
Something isn't right with yours.

Rth or fail safe rth ? I mean the second one... you fly many kms.. so far to loose the connection... the rc led is red... then when the p3 fly back in rth mode the rc led still red and not connected.. the smart rth (when you push the goHome button) works well to me..

I'm not in Europe so it would be FCC but even in CE mode, the P3 can fly further than your battery can bring the Phantom back if you aren't in an urban area..
Flying out so far that you lose connection could be a good way to lose the Phantom.

So you didn't experienced a fail safe rth... I live nera chianti hills in Italy and even if far from city it could happens.. with my p2v+ all works perfectly. . The same flight in the same place with p3 is a little bit longer but after losing connection the rc does not recover so well like p2v+.

I have used RTH about a hundred times
Meta,I just upgraded from P2V+ to P3P. Please, how do I regain control with P3P? There is not S1 switch.

Meta,I just upgraded from P2V+ to P3P. Please, how do I regain control with P3P? There is not S1 switch.
Also try the PAF switch. Switch to F and then Back to P. Make sure you still have some juice left when testing.

@azeta: did you find a solution? I have the exact same problem you have. I fly out of range and it goes to RTH but i cant recover it! I tried closing the app, turn off the remote, pressing rth buttons. nothing happened! the remote(GL300) LED stays red!
It almost landed in a 10m high tree next to me! And in another flight it tried to land in a hedge where I catched it in the last moment!

Last edited:
First thing I do is buying a simcard gps tracker! When youre blind and cant control anything you might have a chance of getting this bloody toy back!
I will never fly at a waterside!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl