Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

FAA Small Drone

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by VAIL8150, Aug 24, 2016.

1. VAIL8150

Thought I would post this for all to review: Keep our sport safe and with minimal regulations.

Aeronautical Knowledge Test

One very important step you have to take is to obtain your remote pilot certificate. Under the new rule—also known as Part 107—the person actually flying a drone must have a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating, or be directly supervised by someone with such a certificate.

To qualify for the certificate, you must either pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center or have an existing non-student Part 61 pilot certificate. If you are qualifying under the latter provision, you must have completed a flight review in the previous 24 months and must take an FAA UAS online training course. The Transportation Security Administration will conduct a security background check of all remote pilot applications prior to issuance of a certificate.

The FAA has posted extensive materials, including a test guide and sample questions, to help you prepare for the knowledge test. You can review the materials by clicking on the “Knowledge Test Prep Part 107” button at www.faa.gov/uas.

You also can watch a short video about the knowledge test here: https://youtu.be/v-d1RuTFvbs.

2. VAIL8150

Yeah I know I can't spell Drone!!!

3. ROD PAINTER

You have to be a attorney to understand all of the regulations. Too many gray areas. I thought this test only pertained to commercial uas operators? Just rechecked FAA website for any changes to part 107. This does not pertain to you if you are flying as a hobby and not for compensation!!!!!!!

#3 ROD PAINTER, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  4. VAIL8150

You are correct the part 107 is only for drone users that intend to do "work for hire"

Falcon900 and ROD PAINTER like this.
  5. VAIL8150

BUT it seems like every day I am running into another "newbie" trying to sell my realtor clients aerial photography or do roof inspections et al.
    Just thought I would post the new regs as an Fyi....

ROD PAINTER likes this.
  6. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Fixed that LOL