EZ range booster worth sharing

Reaction score
Stock range of my P3S was 4300 feet. After this DIY mod I was able to squeeze a little over 7200 feet I'm sure results will vary. I used a piece of scrap foam and a blank cd.
24cf873af2e444efa8d7e0876efcfc49.jpg
90d597454e48d85656725417f480a083.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: LamboH
That's crazy, but makes sense in the same way other windsurfer set ups work. Seems much more durable than the paper print out variety.

You used a blank cd for this mod. Have you experimented with audio albums? For instance, maybe "Going the distance" by Cake gets further away from you at ground level, while Iron Maidens "Where Eagles Dare" assists with higher altitudes? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

wonder how that would work if you put it in a conave dish or bowl and put it in the oven and turned the oven on just high enough to melt the cd to the bowls shape?

Awesome..... It also keeps the birds away

Why you guys gotta down his idea? That's a pretty good idea for us broke folks. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow just to see.

Reactions: Azmopic
Serious question: What did you use as the foam piece? Is it packing material foam, or something more squishy?

Also, I swear I'm not trying to make an issue of it, but after reading up about the drone registration debate and concerns, is it wise to post a picture of a controller with your number on it? I might be totally incorrect here and seem paranoid. I am just putting it out there.

Reactions: gvsukids
Why you guys gotta down his idea? That's a pretty good idea for us broke folks. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow just to see.

Why you gotta say we're "doing" the idea when not one person has "downed" it?

Ok I guess I have to re phrase it, why did y'all have to make fun of his idea? If he can get more range then that's pretty good.

I think it's a rad idea! I have a CD sitting out on my desk right now because I fully intend to try it!

My initial comment about blank vs recorded CD's was what is commonly referred to as "a joke". Not at the OP's idea or at their expense though. From now on, I will only post very seriously worded replies though to avoid confusion.

Oh man! I already blew it. That last comment involved sarcasm, which in some circle is interpreted as humorous (ie. not serious). I do think it's a rad idea, just can't promise to be serious all the time. I'll work on it though.

Reactions: dpicx68 and wellsi
Understood same here aswell. I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

I don't see anyone making fun of the idea at all. pprops statements look like they were made with some fun quips but certainly not insulting. I may have to give this a go with foo fighters "learn to fly".

Reactions: Propagandy
Whatever you do, don't use a Lynyrd Skynyrd disc. I can't imagine that flight will end up going very well.

Whatever you do, don't use a Lynyrd Skynyrd disc. I can't imagine that flight will end up going very well.

I wouldn't deface a Lynyrd Skynyrd cd that way. Although Lagrange might be good to edit a video to.

Foam was left over cutouts from my case club case which I highly recommend by the way. I tried to heat the disk in the toaster oven to give it a parabolic bend but broke three of the four discs I had available, so I gave up and used a flat one. As far as registration number goes, I thought of that after posting the picture....but you know what. I'm a hard working,tax paying, welfare deadbeat enabler, middle class American so... F*#K EM! Hey Pprop you sarcasm was appreciated and I think the CAKE song would be fitting for future distance test. Let's all lighten up folks. Lack of sarcasm and humor with the addition of political correctness overload is exactly the typeof BULL$%!+ that may take our right to enjoy our hobby away from us.

Can't wait for someone to post the "baked potato" mod [emoji38]

Foam was left over cutouts from my case club case which I highly recommend by the way. I tried to heat the disk in the toaster oven to give it a parabolic bend but broke three of the four discs I had available, so I gave up and used a flat one. As far as registration number goes, I thought of that after posting the picture....but you know what. I'm a hard working,tax paying, welfare deadbeat enabler, middle class American so... F*#K EM! Hey Pprop you sarcasm was appreciated and I think the CAKE song would be fitting for future distance test. Let's all lighten up folks. Lack of sarcasm and humor with the addition of political correctness overload is exactly the typeof BULL$%!+ that may take our right to enjoy our hobby away from us.

Can't wait for someone to post the "baked potato" mod [emoji38]

They're made of plastic, there's gotta be a way. I'm gonna work on that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl