ESC status error after upgrade

Reaction score
My P3P flew perfect up until I upgraded to the current 1.10 firmware , the text file said success and the upgrade went smooth as can be , was going to make a small flight from garage and dji app says good to go , gps etc ! Go to initiate start up and get yellow warning "Esc status error" out of ten times trying to turn motors I may get 1 or 2 good starts otherwise the warning comes up , my r/c is current and current dji app
Any suggestions?

I have this exact same issue!

My P3P has been fine up until I did the upgrade to V1.10.0090 today.

Everything passed according to the logs, so I also did an IMU and gimbal calibration (as I normally do after a firmware upgrade).

The controller has been updated to the latest version (1.8.0) and I have the latest DJI Go version.

The aircraft powers on, connects to the controller ok. Can do compass calibrations etc.

When I try to start the motors I get:

"ESC Status Error", and the motors do not start. Randomly on some occasions the motors do start, and seem to operate as normal (throttle up/down, turns etc) on the ground. I am not tempted to take this airborne until I am satisfied with a fix solution.

I have tried to downgrade the firmware to the previous version with no success. This has included using different memory cars formatted in the aircraft and copying a fresh copy of the previous firmware to the card. I have also tried reinstalling the current version of firmware. I have nitiated the manual firmware load by holding the RC link button on boot, but only managed to get the current version of firmware to reinstall, not the previous version.

I am now screwed as I had some work lined up for tomorrow which I won't be able to do.

I suspect there are issues with this firmware release and I would advise no one to install it until this is looked at by DJI.

I need my bird back in the sky ASAP!

Reactions: Dinodragon1
So many posts in the last couple of years have started with, "It was working perfectly, but then I changed [FW, App, Settings, etc] and now it doesn't work." It seems to often be right before a big job or a vacation. If it's working perfectly already, why risk making major changes right before a critical need?

Unfortunately, DJI has stated that there is no roll back to previous FW versions after upgrading to 1.10. That's via normal means of course. That's why it wasn't downgrading for you when you tried to downgrade. Note that unofficial methods for downgrading have been emerging recently if you are open to giving those methods a try.

There have been several "is 1.10 okay?" type of threads since 1.10 was released. Including the two in this thread, I have seen maybe 5-6 reports of ESC status errors after the update. My guess is that it is somehow related to one of the changes listed in the 1.10 release notes - "Improved motor performance to prevent occasional overheating resulting from a motor stall." Perhaps 1.10 contains a tweak to the ESC firmware that is causing a conflict with a small number of P3s.

In the past, ESC errors have required significant hardware changes such as the main board. Since there have been several similar reports of this happening as a result of 1.10, DJI may have some ideas. Have you guys tried reaching out to them yet?

Last edited:
No not yet , Iam from Canada and presume there is a Canadian dji support? Out of 10 starts I may get lucky once and motors will spin, this really sux :(

From reading a lot of other posts regarding this esc error status looks like most all sent there phantoms away to dji and had the main board replaced , if I could only turn back time ......would not have upgraded to 1.10!!

Well after a few emails to dji they have told me to send it in for repair! This really sux as was great on 1.96 ,they said it is most likely the main board needs replacing at the tune of $500.00, don't know why it was good before this upgrade

Reactions: Rendall69
Not trying to hijack your thread but I dont get how people can have so many issues after a firmware update. I have updated my phantom on every update the day they came out since I got my aircraft and have not had a single issue. Nothing. No errors. No calibration issues. No flyaways. No controller issues. I calibrate my compass when I get to a location because my aircraft has been in the boot of the car just to be on the safe side. I calibrated the IMU once and the gimbal once when I had a tilted gimbal horizon after that I check the IMU on the level surface to make sure its all zeroed out every now and then. I have faith that DJI test the firmware they release before making it public. As any business who want to keep customers coming surely would. I just dont get it. Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky.

Dinodragon1, are DJI expecting you to pay for the repair?

Not trying to hijack your thread but I dont get how people can have so many issues after a firmware update. I have updated my phantom on every update the day they came out since I got my aircraft and have not had a single issue. Nothing. No errors. No calibration issues. No flyaways. No controller issues. I calibrate my compass when I get to a location because my aircraft has been in the boot of the car just to be on the safe side. I calibrated the IMU once and the gimbal once when I had a tilted gimbal horizon after that I check the IMU on the level surface to make sure its all zeroed out every now and then. I have faith that DJI test the firmware they release before making it public. As any business who want to keep customers coming surely would. I just dont get it. Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky.

Dinodragon1, are DJI expecting you to pay for the repair?
They would not say either way , just told me to pack her up and ship in , I don't have warranty as second owner , did not talk to anyone over phone as closed on weekends but they have email support today, I've chatted with a few other peeps who had exact same issue with 1.1.0 and I told her this and she said something about a pass/fail safe code or something along that line , I will phone Monday morning at talk to someone in person before I ship it away

I've also done updates regularly since day one without issues.... until now.

There is some information floating around about clearing the internal logs SD card (located under the main board), and then reflashing with an older firmware. I haven't had any success with this as yet though.

From what I understand that internal sd card just has flight logs on it , I actualy downloaded all the flight logs of internal cars last night , there was no other info on that card besides the logs

They shipped me labels and I sent mine away to Cali this morning , what one tech told me was that the new 1.10 has a pass/fail system that will throw a code if there is a potential hardware issue, only advice was to send it in, at least they paid for shipping, is this standard practice for them to take care of shipping?

They shipped me labels and I sent mine away to Cali this morning , what one tech told me was that the new 1.10 has a pass/fail system that will throw a code if there is a potential hardware issue, only advice was to send it in, at least they paid for shipping, is this standard practice for them to take care of shipping?

Hopefully you will get the same drone back when they return it. You could get a refurbished unit. They state how things are handled in the return policy with no guarantee on getting the same aircraft sent back.

Wow I did not know that frank!
I had a skin on mine I paid $28 for , I better **** well get my same pro back , also is it common practice from them to pre pay shipping? Iam from Canada so the UPS bill wasn't cheap

Yes they pay for the shipping most of the time. The sad part will be you will not know what exactly they did to fix your aircraft.

They sure were persistent to send it in, didn't try and give me any suggestions to try or help diagnose the problem , just short and sweet "ship it for repair"

I have one here with the exact same issue. Installed the newest firmware and it was successful. Now when I try to arm the motors I get the ESC status error. I have tried countless times, but no luck. The motors will not arm and I can not fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen