Droning in San Diego's complicated airspace

Excellent info and super video.

I watched this and was curious about the third comment under it where someone thought this was illegal so I had to look on a sectional. I know the Hyatt Towers in the opening shots are 1.4 miles from runway 27 of S.D. International airport under the "Surface to 10,000 feet" part of Class B. I dunno, but seems all of S.D. is near some airport and in Class B airspace unless you go north to Escondido

Most of those clips were from NFZ's according to most maps.

I live about 45 miles north of San Diego and wanted to see where I could fly...anywhere near downtown or balboa park is a NFZ.

Maybe they had permits?

It's tough to find places to fly in San Diego that avoid the many airports and military bases. To help with this, we have put together a list of some pretty amazing locations to fly: Top 10 Places to fly a drone in San Diego.
I live right by Chollas Lake and I was surprised to see that location on your list. That location is in Class B air space and as far as I can tell is a NFZ. The FAA B4UFly app says not to fly there. The sectional maps also show that it's class B down to the surface.

I would love to fly at Chollas Lake. I could almost fly there from my house, but I am afraid it's not allowed.

Hi dfphoto,

I would check with the local air traffic control tower. My understanding that if it is not within 5 miles of an airport then the class B airspace applies to an altitude level over the FAA regulated 400'. I can't promise anything here so I recommend reaching out to an ATCT in San Diego.

Would love to hear what you find out!

I was thinking of visiting Chula Vista, Chula Vista RV Resort. Its right next to Bayside Park, is that in a no fly zone? Another beautiful area but alot of military I see in that area.

I was thinking of visiting Chula Vista, Chula Vista RV Resort. Its right next to Bayside Park, is that in a no fly zone? Another beautiful area but alot of military I see in that area.
Looks like that RV Park is right in between the various airports. It is class E airspace as far as I can tell, so you should be good to go.
From the sectional charts, it seems like all the airspace floors nearby are well above 400'. (I am a noob though, so maybe someone more experienced can confrim.)

If you drive around to the Silver Strand State Beach, that would be a great place to get some beach shots. I believe the CA state parks/beaches allow drones, but it's up to the local park ranger if they let you fly or not. I have never flown there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen