Drone fly away!

Fair enough - you make a good point. If you are going to stick to a specific heading out and then back, then your method does give a more direct and simple measure of the ground speeds that you can expect.

I am more accustomed to knowing the actual wind speed and direction but the calculation to get the ground speed values on a particular track, out and back, are more complicated to calculate and don't actually have a simple closed-form solution.
Yes I get it too, if that's the info you want, it's a strait forward way to get it. That being said, when I fly casually, it's rarely on a single bearing. The first thing I'm going to want to know,,, is it prudent to fly at all. If my plan is to remain upwind, I just want to know which half of the compass I need to be on when I get close to Bingo.

Lost drones are a bummer, Marco Polo or other such finders, are a good thing to have when this happens.

The flight log clearly confirms that the home point was set at 38.74959046, -77.44713752. That was not the problem.
That's good . . just another factor to consider. . . trying to evaluate anything related. The machine is capable of 40mph in sport and around 30mph in P mode . . so I'd be looking around (30mph-Avg wind speed) x time left downwind of that lost signal. Maybe you've done that already

That's good . . just another factor to consider. . . trying to evaluate anything related. The machine is capable of 40mph in sport and around 30mph in P mode . . so I'd be looking around (30mph-Avg wind speed) x time left downwind of that lost signal. Maybe you've done that already

Not my drone but yes - that was suggested to the OP. In RTH I think the speed is even lower - somewhere around 20 mph, so it may well be further downwind from the last recorded point.

There is always another day. My Rule #1 is "Don't fly on windy days". Even ultra-lites, seaplanes, and other small personal aircraft don't fly unless the weather is perfect. It seems that since life is not at stake, some drone pilots avoid Rule #1. Flying drones is an expensive hobby. Why add any unnecessary expenses.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94