Does the P3S Record Sound as well?

Thank you, but I'm not forgetting that aspect. What you are talking about is the structure-borne part of the sound, and I agree, under some circumstances it could be larger than the air-borne component. There, the best approach is to isolate the microphones and attach them to resilient mounts ... No one said this was going to be easy.

I recall many years ago, when the first webcams came out, they did not have built-in microphones in them. I mentioned that to a younger colleague of mine few weeks back, and his reply was: So, how did you guys communicate back then, you used sign language? I felt the need to slap the SOB, so ignorant he was. All of this, to say: Yes, you are absolutely correct that recording (and also playback) sound is not the easiest of feats ... but somehow we're easily 'impressed' by a good picture than we are by good sound.

All of this, to say: Yes, you are absolutely correct that recording (and also playback) sound is not the easiest of feats ... but somehow we're easily 'impressed' by a good picture than we are by good sound.

Nobody gives half a crap about sound. Im constantly blown away at how terrible sound is even at things like huge concerts and how readily people are willing to sacrifice their ears for...what? Going to a club?

I'm constantly the 'old man' putting my ear plugs in when my wife and I go out but I cant tell you how many times people ask me if I have any more... which I do.

This is why I left the audio game for video editing which is great as it pays about 10 times as much as audio work.

A colleague of mine has a bunch of gold records for his work with Gwen Stefani, Suge Knight etc - HE cant even make any money at it anymore.

Sad

Recording of what???

4 props?

If you go back to my earlier posts - you will see I already said that - but guy still wants to try.
A small 808 adds about 10gr, can Velcro to model and is self powered.

Nigel

If you go back to my earlier posts - you will see I already said that - but guy still wants to try.
A small 808 adds about 10gr, can Velcro to model and is self powered.

Nigel
All good Nigel.

I don't go back to review previous posts.

Cheers

Mention has been made of sound transference thriugh body of the model. This actually is not a problem unless you hard mount a recorder.
Many like me use the 'key cams' (808's). If video is not important from it - cost is peanuts ... $5 or so.
I use these a lot onboard models and a good way to minimize wind noise is to wrap Clingfilm round the camera covering the mic hole, video still OK if film is smooth over camera hole.
Vibration / tremor transference is reduced to near zero buy use of good quality velcro to fix 808 in place. Good idea to also have a thin cotton safety line attached just in case 808 gets dislodged.

The only major obstacle to the usual digi-cam is they use CMOS in the budget versions - giving rise to the 'venetian blind' effect when prop is in frame.

If anyone wants to check what I post here - I have various onboard videos on my YouTube channel .... solentlifeuk

Nigel

Here is a thought. How about putting 4 (or 8) microphones at the 8 corners of the 'cube' (legs of the drone), connecting those to a raspberry pi zero (or mini arduino), recording all channels during whatever mission. Then, doing some array signal processing (in post-processing) to remove/minimize the propellers' sound? I know, sounds complicated, but perfectly feasible ... assuming one knows their signal processing and has the means to do this (e.g. Matlab or other matrix computation package). I never said it was easy ... just exploring what can be done.
Another idea is to tether a digital recorder [facing down] to it with approx. 40' of line with a high grade fishing line. That might get you far enough away from the bird to hear something else if you hover over it. Then you could clean it up in post to see if you recorded what you wanted in something that could be referred to as the desired quality. I'm an experimental mixed media artist and that sounds like a wonderful challenge to get a good recording. Good luck and enjoy! Looking forward to [literally] hearing what you come up with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18