Do You Need Pilot License For This??

Reaction score
With the FAA's ridiculous rules currently in place, one would need at least a sport pilot license to fly a drone like a Phantom 3 commercially. But all this time I've had a burning question....Is a pilot license required to fly beasts like THIS in the NAS? One would think, or at least logic would dictate that if they require one for a ridiculously simple quadcopter, certainly one would need one to pilot something like that. I dont know jack about the RC Plane community, figured maybe one of you might know.

As far as faa is concerned. All model planes. Regardless if quad or fixed wing. There is no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No license required.

You see these type of experienced pilots follow guidelines in place from the FAA and their local Club and AMA.

They are currently required to register themselves just like you and I.

That is over 55lbs so it falls into a different category with different rules. ;)

Reactions: N017RW
Reason I asked is that I just find it kind of odd. These things are huge and could do way more damage if they crash. Now I know these guys are really serious and that takes a lot of skill. And I'm sure when these guys play they do it in a controlled environment like a closed airfield or something and aren't just flying them here there & everywhere. But the capabilities for them to do so is obviously there. So does this reinforce my way of thinking that most rules the FAA have made regarding commercial UAS use is put in place to quash progress?

@Gary M - There have been RC aircraft for many more years than you have been alive and there was not the regulation there is now. That is because old skool RC guys respected the hobby, and respected others. They hand built their aircraft with loving care, and they are not about to use it recklessly. All these issues popped up when ready to fly quads hit the scene. People with more money than brains bought them, strapped on a camera and the problems ensued. So the rules are not to squash progress, but to slow the stupid people down a little. Of course we all know you can't fix stupid so the rest of us must endure the restrictions put upon us because of a few careless individuals.

So does this reinforce my way of thinking that most rules the FAA have made regarding commercial UAS use is put in place to quash progress?

Hell No.

The FAA is chartered to maintain the safety of Aviation and the NAS and is working with the 'UAS industry' to develop all types of technology for their integration.

You need to start nosing around UAS Industry News and not the 'other' news.

Hell No.

The FAA is chartered to maintain the safety of Aviation and the NAS and is working with the 'UAS industry' to develop all types of technology for their integration.

You need to start nosing around UAS Industry News and not the 'other' news.

What I'm saying isn't based on any "News" but their actual rules that they have in place. Any kid can go buy a Phantom 3 and fly it around taking all the pictures he wants. But an adult using the exact same equipment for commercial use suddenly needs a pilot license, an observer, and about 15 other stupid hoops to jump through in order to do it. Now, I do know that they are SUPPOSEDLY changing the rules soon, and their new proposed rules are far more relaxed. But I just personally think that they need to get this over with and let this industry grow to where everyone says that it can. The whole process up til now has been typical bureaucratic bs that has never done anything but impede the people and free markets.

What I'm saying isn't based on any "News" but their actual rules that they have in place. Any kid can go buy a Phantom 3 and fly it around taking all the pictures he wants. But an adult using the exact same equipment for commercial use suddenly needs a pilot license, an observer, and about 15 other stupid hoops to jump through in order to do it. Now, I do know that they are SUPPOSEDLY changing the rules soon, and their new proposed rules are far more relaxed. But I just personally think that they need to get this over with and let this industry grow to where everyone says that it can. The whole process up til now has been typical bureaucratic bs that has never done anything but impede the people and free markets.
The rule the faa put in place is challenged. There is not ruling on it yet. As they are not chartered to govern below 400ft. So they can say what they want if you do it commercially they don't really have the authority to say you can't. Until a judge rules on it. It's up to you. Like I know for sure many companies in my area doing Ariel films with out the 333 exemption. But they are low level
Flyers. Also the AMA did. Not want anyone to register until the issue was cleared but people did it to be safe. Just like the commercial flying thing. Example. I can film
My car no problem. But if I want to sell my car with the film it is taboo. To hell with that. This is why there is such an issue. We are not talking about public safety. We are talking about making it so only the big guy can earn money with this tool. How many people even In this forum have a pilot license. My guess less than 1%. So if it's about safety why can't people just take a safety test and be good to go. Because it like everything else. The big get bigger and the small sit and watch.

Reactions: Gary M
The rule the faa put in place is challenged. There is not ruling on it yet. As they are not chartered to govern below 400ft. So they can say what they want if you do it commercially they don't really have the authority to say you can't. Until a judge rules on it. It's up to you. Like I know for sure many companies in my area doing Ariel films with out the 333 exemption. But they are low level
Flyers. Also the AMA did. Not want anyone to register until the issue was cleared but people did it to be safe. Just like the commercial flying thing. Example. I can film
My car no problem. But if I want to sell my car with the film it is taboo. To hell with that. This is why there is such an issue. We are not talking about public safety. We are talking about making it so only the big guy can earn money with this tool. How many people even In this forum have a pilot license. My guess less than 1%. So if it's about safety why can't people just take a safety test and be good to go. Because it like everything else. The big get bigger and the small sit and watch.

Terrible advice and unless you are willing to foot his legal bills I would not be giving it out. Many people have been warned and/or fined for commercial work without a 333. Your info is wrong and/or outdated. The Legal challenge in in regards to hobby flying, not commercial. Also, the AMA said not to register as a hobby flier until the last possible moment. When that time came they told the members to register.
I can mow my own lawn for free but as soon as I do it for someone else for profit I need to report that to the appropriate agency (IRS). If you fly for fun, your good with a simple registration, as soon as you do it for gain you need to be legal with a 333. The rules for the 333 are being discussed now and may be simplified in the near future.

Please don't give out bad advice as it only confuses people.

Really not advice. Just Saying what is happening. Of course ymmv. Should have added that.

I appreciate everyone's opinion, that's why I like doing this, lol! In regards to what LuvMyTj said, I totally understand the need for safety and everything. I get that. My problem is when rules are crafted that just makes no sense whatsoever, which even a child would find ridiculous. The pilot license and observer thing that is in place right now is just beyond the point of stupidity of anything anyone has heard of with the people I've told this to. Call me the over-patriotic, rights loving freak that I am, but it's pretty easy to tell when a government agency is just being stupid because they can. I really hope that the changes that I have heard about through you and others are actually going to come to fruition soon. Until then I'll call it stupid and follow the rules anyway until it comes. I can't afford $10,000 fines and legal fees if they catch me outside the lines.

As for what Tony said, I 100% agree with most of what you just commented. But,,,I have heard a bunch of people in the past few months I've been into this saying exactly what you said about the scope of FAA's authority in this, below 400', etc. I guess it's just one of those things that scares me enough that even though I'd love to buck the system myself and challenge the FAA personally about something like this there's no way I could afford to do so. Trust me, seriously,,,,if I was a millionaire i would go fly my drone anyway I want anywhere I want for money or for free and if the FAA didn't like it they could kiss my *** and take me to court. I honestly don't believe the rules they have in place now would hold up in court if challenged. But this poor ole boy in Virginia don't have the green to test those waters. I'll be the one grumpily following the rules, real or imagined, until it's fixed. But I do have to say that when you hear about some of the money guys are making with drones you HAVE to sit back and say,,,,damnnnnnn....sure is tempting!

I know what you are all saying about regulations, but all that aside that Virgin Atlantic RC plane was pretty impressive. I've been flying RC park flyers for years and never had a problem. But with the drone people act different.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl