Do you get hounded by questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Almost every time I go fly my drone in a public area, like a beach with tourists, I always get hounded down with questions from old people in their 40-60s, like old fashioned people who aren't up to date in technology. Ya it's cool they're amazed by it, but some of them think how can something like this be possible. Many of them doubt it and ask me stuff like what happens if it loses signal will it just crash. I tell them just comes back with GPS coordinates. I get the people born in the 60s-70s think something like this isn't possible, so anytime they see a drone they're like amazed by it.

Some people I have decent conversations with, like one old dude told me how he flew RC planes and showed me a video. But most the time I just feel like I get hounded down with questions than have engaging conversations with most these curious people. They just ask question after question rather than create a conversation.

Most younger people who are millennial and use smart phones are accustomed to drones. Especially when you go to a nerd convention then nobody really thinks much of your drone. It's always little kids or old people who are amazed by it or have tons of questions about the drone.

So many of them think it's hard to fly it, or think it would just suddenly crash or lose signal. But even with all the times I did lose signal, I usually don't have to worry since I know it will just come home. I trust this device and have so much faith in DJI that I don't really worry about losing the drone, even when signal goes out.

But seriously these are my list of questions

-Q:How far does this thing go
-How fast does it go
-Do you need license
-How is the battery life
-What happens when you lose signal
-What happens if you crash
-What are the laws
-What if you hit a plane/helicopter

I'm not really an expert, I just fly it for fun. But all these old people think you must be some kind of special person to operate these things. Even though now they're super cheap and a decent one can be obtained for less than $1000. To the point that anyone can just go on the internet and buy one. I don't really know how it works but I can go buy a used one on Craigslist and it usually just works. I just picked up a used Phantom 4 for $710 that came with 3 batteries, or 2 extra batteries since all drones should have 1 battery.

I drive a $80k limited edition orange M3 and for some reason the $700 drone gets a lot more attention and questions than my car.

What do you mean "old fashioned people 40-60".......I'm 58 mate and technologically up with the best of them........

Like mom / dad or senior people. Like people 40+

Maybe old fashioned like they have no idea what the difference between an iPhone 5 or iPhone 7 is. Or they don't even know what the current gen iPhone is.

When those people see a drone they just have like a huge list of questions they just pull outta their ***. Like they just wanna ask a ton of questions but probably won't consider getting a drone.

I thought in 2017 people would be accustomed to drones. What happens in the year 2040 when most millennial are the old people, are they going to ask a ton of questions about all the drones in the skies (assuming drone delivery is a thing). Or would the current old people who live into 2040 going to ask a ton of questions of all the drones in the sky.

Well JetFalcon... how utterly rude, old people indeed.

Back in prehistoric times around 1969 when Niel Armstorng and Buzz Aldrin landed on the Moon they were both 39+ years old, were they technologically naive...?, was Einstien.

My "young" friend I have had a mobile phone since 1985, I am CEO of an engineering business, and I can fault find and repair electronic control systems down to component level on Printed circuit boards, I have modified and built my own drones.. am I then technologically naive.

Perhaps you should get out more, or learn some tollerance... :(

Waylander

Well JetFalcon... how utterly rude, old people indeed.

Back in prehistoric times around 1969 when Niel Armstorng and Buzz Aldrin landed on the Moon they were both 39+ years old, were they technologically naive...?, was Einstien.

My "young" friend I have had a mobile phone since 1985, I am CEO of an engineering business, and I can fault find and repair electronic control systems down to component level on Printed circuit boards, I have modified and built my own drones.. am I then technologically naive.

Perhaps you should get out more, or learn some tollerance... :(

Waylander
Yep, I am in my late 50s manage a $65M busines and whilst the young Turks have a few tricks, I have the experience. My mum who is 80 can manage a phone and the Internet with the best of them, WRT to questions, I have a shirt coming shortly that has a bunch of answers on the back from Ariel Pixel that may be of some use.......

40+ ain't old in these times. You might be surprised to learn the age of most UAV enthusiasts, it will be older than you probably think. Old enough to realise that an $80k car is nothing special.

Funniest experience I had was from a lady in her 80s. Asked me if I was controlling the thing with the flashing lights she saw head out to sea. I said probably. She asked where it was and I showed her the display. She called out to a man I presume was her husband " F me Harold come and have a look at this"

I think the OP needs to grow up. RC planes has been alive since the 1930's. So you will imagine that any old folks who managed at some point in his life a RC plane, when they see a drone they will get interested. This is a hobby for all ages. I am 41 and I don't feel old, even though I have some gray hairs.

I am 66 and fully conversant with the Technology involved in flying my Phantom and controlling from my Ipad.
As for the younger folks, I regularly repair their laptops and phones, I have done many screen replacements on their iphones, we are not all in "Gods waiting room".
I was experimenting with gps chips, gyros and accelerometers on an arduino board when I was 60, making self levelling and balancing devices, I am not unusual for my age.
I used to get many questions, but not too many now as I rarely fly anywhere near people, all my encounters have been good so far. I think it is good for us to interact positively with the public, and promote our hobby/sport.

People don't care what car you drive, job you have, or your income.

They see something flying and are curious. Now nearly anyone who is interested can enjoy flight and the views from above.

In fact many, many, more don't care when you look at the stats. as only a small fraction of those who see care to inquire or ask.

Last edited:
Thank goodness there are people who are still asking questions and not just saying stop whatever you are doing with that thing. The community of drone pilots consists of more than the love of flying by itself.

Every time someone comes up to ask questions it is an opportunity to educate and put our pursuit in a positive light. So much bad perception out there because people won't ask questions they just form their negative opinion and that is it.

Let's land the aircraft and seize the chance to talk to those brave enough to ask the questions with open minds.

Mr. JetFalcon,
Here's something to remember. You too will be "old" someday and you too will have questions about what's new in the "young(er) world. Trust me on this. Live and let live. ;)

After reading the OP reply #3 in the "Wildfire" thread, I take this posting as a grain of salt.

Furthermore why would they be on a crowded beach flying by "old people"? They shouldn't be flying over crowds/people. Boy has this OP have lots to learn in life yet...

The questions lead to education. Education lessens the fears people have about drones. I am new to the hobby but have been around 55 years in life. Ask away. Being new the best questions to me are the ones I don't know the answer to, because by the end of the day I will. The more educated the public is on any topic the less controversy in that topic.

Reactions: FionaLake
A couple of weeks back I was just having a bit of thumb exercise, twiddling the sticks down at my local park. It is big enough to give everyone a bit of space with 3 football pitches and at least the same again for dog walkers, some more responsible than others, and young lovers out for a stroll. So first a couple of young teens come by and ask a couple of fairly relevant questions. Then a dad out playing kick-around with his 1 year old. (That should get a comment or two!) He points to the mystery flying machine and I duly bring it down to a nearby hover then safely circle him a few times. I gave it a quick verical burst and the wee soul got a fright and ran to Dad. Apologetic waves exchanged and we toddled off on our merry way.
Two minutes later and a 75 year old grand-mother stopped off and commented and asked a few questions. She was gobsmacked when I showed her herself and wee dug on the iPad live feed. She was suitably impressed by today's technology.
Once I got home and checked the video, there was a PC & WPC strolling along one of the paths being 'followed' by my Phantom. (Unintentionally I hasten to add. They were just another couple of bods picked up on the side view of the camera.)
I would much rather be demonstrating to all comers, whether still in nappies, collecting a pension and all ages in between and answering their repeated questions and also not be bothered by the sherriff department & deputies.
As it is, I have regular contact with the local Police via my Tenants Association duties and they were keen to see some of my pre-redevelopment videos of a local mill site. So I'm for putting up with the 'inconvenience' of civil questions and actually promote the hobby that we all enjoy. Eek! 'nuff said. :rolleyes:

A couple of weeks back I was just having a bit of thumb exercise, twiddling the sticks down at my local park. It is big enough to give everyone a bit of space with 3 football pitches and at least the same again for dog walkers, some more responsible than others, and young lovers out for a stroll. So first a couple of young teens come by and ask a couple of fairly relevant questions. Then a dad out playing kick-around with his 1 year old. (That should get a comment or two!) He points to the mystery flying machine and I duly bring it down to a nearby hover then safely circle him a few times. I gave it a quick verical burst and the wee soul got a fright and ran to Dad. Apologetic waves exchanged and we toddled off on our merry way.
Two minutes later and a 75 year old grand-mother stopped off and commented and asked a few questions. She was gobsmacked when I showed her herself and wee dug on the iPad live feed. She was suitably impressed by today's technology.
Once I got home and checked the video, there was a PC & WPC strolling along one of the paths being 'followed' by my Phantom. (Unintentionally I hasten to add. They were just another couple of bods picked up on the side view of the camera.)
I would much rather be demonstrating to all comers, whether still in nappies, collecting a pension and all ages in between and answering their repeated questions and also not be bothered by the sherriff department & deputies.
As it is, I have regular contact with the local Police via my Tenants Association duties and they were keen to see some of my pre-redevelopment videos of a local mill site. So I'm for putting up with the 'inconvenience' of civil questions and actually promote the hobby that we all enjoy. Eek! 'nuff said. :rolleyes:
Sometimes we see so many comments from our friends in the US, that we forget the UK is still thankfully less regulated, and long may it continue. Like you, I will happily land and talk to people and demonstrate, so far always positive. Mind you I am a very careful and considerate operator.
Greetings from Englishland, love your country.

We are always happy to share our luck with the scenery. You are always welcome to a fly around. :)

Found it! o_O

Need to send to Vimeo.

Last edited:
When I was 15 or so my cousin (17 at the time shacked up with a guy in his mid 20s) .Why would she want to move in with someone so old was my thoughts at the time .But with age comes experience eh.;)

If you are getting people asking questions, be a good steward. Answer their questions nicely, educate them PROPERLY, with correct answers and a smile. Be one of us that wants to change the perception of the word "drone". It is that exact demographic you mentioned that seems to be the most stand-off-ish and flat out terrified of drones/UAVs. When a drone pilot can be nice and answer questions/educate the public in the proper way, it goes a LONG way to make a start to undo the damage that the sensational media, and tinfoil hat wearing types put forth.

Like mom / dad or senior people. Like people 40+

Maybe old fashioned like they have no idea what the difference between an iPhone 5 or iPhone 7 is. Or they don't even know what the current gen iPhone is.

When those people see a drone they just have like a huge list of questions they just pull outta their ***. Like they just wanna ask a ton of questions but probably won't consider getting a drone.

I thought in 2017 people would be accustomed to drones. What happens in the year 2040 when most millennial are the old people, are they going to ask a ton of questions about all the drones in the skies (assuming drone delivery is a thing). Or would the current old people who live into 2040 going to ask a ton of questions of all the drones in the sky.

You really show off your age and attitude in everything you type. I hope you are lucky enough to live well into the older years of your "40's" and be lucky enough to be inquisitive and ask questions. Every day you learn something new you grow as a person so ask questions and expand your intelligence every chance you get.

I'm 46 and have 41 years of AVIATION experience. Even though I fly some type of aircraft almost every single day I still go up to people and strike up a conversation when I see someone flying. Who knows I might learn something new or I might accidentally make a new friend or flying buddy.

What the young "whipper snappers" need to learn is R/C flying was always a social sport up until the advent of Gryo Stabilization and GPS coordination. Before these were incorporated into UAS we had to actually LEARN about flying. We had to KNOW something about the aircraft and how to physically fly it because the first moment we stopped actively flying it, it made a direct bee-line for Terra Firma. We had to LEARN to fly and this usually meant going to a flying field, meeting other like-minded people, and hoping they would help us to learn to fly. Today's operators only need to know how to slide the credit card, read the Quick Start manual (charge batteries, hit FLY) and that's it. Us old timers were flying (really flying hands on) before many of you were able to get out of your own diapers.

Most people would consider others interested in your sport/hobby as a compliment but some people . . .

The comment about his car pretty much sums it up. He wants to be noticed and admired for his possessions that the average person cannot attain. So he would welcome questions about the car because he feels it validates his position in society, and feels disrespected when someone shows more interest in the drone than the car. It has less to do with age, and more to do with maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka