Distance only 500m

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a newbe, and wondering if anyone can tell me why my p3a will only go 500m distance ... I took off beginners mode and it still went 500m. I was in a open space and it keeps coming up weak signal at around 500m . It won't let me change it the distance in the app??? Anyone help

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oooo ok.. Do I have too put any distances at all in tha app

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I doubt it's being limited by the app since he said it comes up as weak signal at 500m

I agree.

I doubt it's being limited by the app since he said it comes up as weak signal at 500m
The OP said "It won't let me change it the distance in the app???"
This is wrong - everyone's app is the same and changing the max distance is not difficult.
If he's having weak signal problems, the first thing to look at is antenna orientation

In the Go app, tap the "four leaf clover" icon, top left in Camera View to open MC Settings:

1st item is 'Maximum Altitude'
2nd item is 'Distance Limit' which defaults to 'Yes' and beneath that is the number of metres / feet that is the limit set (metric is 500 metres is default).

Tap the Limit Distance switch to 'off' and you're no longer restricted in horizontal distance.

On an open field with no obstructions, I can fly my Standard to around 750 metres / 2500 feet before the weak signal kicks in. Keep your RC antenna vertical when you're flying at that distance.

Cheers
Ian

Reactions: Corey Ratzlaff
So dumb question. If you are up on 4,000 ft. Mountain, launch, fly over a precipice will the phantom drop down to the 500m elevation limit?

So dumb question. If you are up on 4,000 ft. Mountain, launch, fly over a precipice will the phantom drop down to the 500m elevation limit?
It should be 500m from it's starting elevation.

A latecomer here...

So conversely, if you launch from a lower elevation surrounded by hills, that would mess up altitude planning?

I'm doing my first expansive flying this weekend in rolling hills/valleys pasture terrains (only did one test run in a local park a few days ago).

Is it best to launch from the nearest higher (hilltop) position available, or does it matter?

How does the P3A give you altitude reports if the distance to the ground below it varies in-flight?

I'm confused because, if I understand correctly... it's altitude reporting is accomplished by barametrics, and not sonar or something similar...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl