difference between no fly and restricted?

Reaction score
I was filming a golf course the other day and as I tried out my P3P at first it said I was in a no fly zone but that some of the course was not in the no fly zone. (there's a very small airport nearby)

I got out on the course and tried again and it said restricted but I was still able to fly.

So, what's the difference between the two? If I put it in atti mode will it fly?

NFZ is just that. Restricted means you are restricted to a certain height. Page 40-43 in the manual covers it pretty well.

ah, the ole manual. I looked that up and thank you for referencing that. It's not clear if the drone take off in A-mode tho if in a nfz?

This golf course wants me to do flyovers for each hole and if I can't perform that for 1/3 of the course I'll have problems.....

Then you have an issue. The DJI P3 will not let you take off or fly into a NFZ. Even if you have permission from the airport you are still held hostage with internal firmware. If you want to experiment by putting foil on top of the bird to block the GPS signal...well that's up to you.

I was filming a golf course the other day and as I tried out my P3P at first it said I was in a no fly zone but that some of the course was not in the no fly zone. (there's a very small airport nearby)

I got out on the course and tried again and it said restricted but I was still able to fly.

So, what's the difference between the two? If I put it in atti mode will it fly?

It's kind of hit or miss with the DJI app as seen in my photo there is a restricted airport zone in an area that I have flown I don't know where DJI gets this random circle around the airport as a no fly as by all right The FAA says 5 miles
I have a had an incident at this location and being contacted by the FAA I was told 5 miles from airport with control towers 3 miles with airports no control towers but ILS approachesand 2 miles for small uncontrolled airports so even the FAA has discrepancies in what they are quoting keeping in mind that these are advisories and not written into law but yet can and will be pushed by FAA if issues are found I did find that even with this circle directly around airport I was able to fly at 100 feet directly up to the quoted circle edge and with less than a quarter-mile out I was able to obtain 400 feet so kind of a pointless app if you're going to an act no-fly zones they should at least make them legitimate no-fly zones so that you were covered by the supposedly FAA enforcement not just some random size circle
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440702935.407421.jpg

Well remember that no one knows where they got their data or how current it is. There have been reports of NFZ on old closed airport sites that are now full of homes. There may be newer airports that are not included. But most of all, remember it's from China. We paid our money and now take our chances.

I live in NH and the largest airport and the busiest small airport are not even on the map as no fly or restricted. Wonder who manages the data.....

The airport I'm talking about is lucky to have 1 or 2 planes a day and it's quite a ways off in the distance. Obviously, no air traffic control. It's a very small space with lots of homes around it. That would suck to want to buy a drone and live near there....

Here's mine. Now that I look at it the nfz was only about 2 miles and the restricted was maybe 5 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_0369.PNG
    IMG_0369.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 347
Reactions: skyhighdiver

Here's mine. Now that I look at it the nfz was only about 2 miles and the restricted was maybe 5 miles.
Im confussed on why your getting second red zone ring I fired mine up on both version 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 I dont get those
IMG_0871.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_0873.PNG
    IMG_0873.PNG
    6.3 MB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0870.PNG
    IMG_0870.PNG
    6.4 MB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0874.PNG
    IMG_0874.PNG
    4.8 MB · Views: 372
Whoa! how'd you do that? I took the screen shot when I was actually there. The first circle was nfz and second circle was restricted area.

I just zoomed map to your airport while bird on . However I dont get the second ring even right here by my airport I dont understand

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl