Did you try it?

Reaction score
It's possible to power the gimbal when is not mounted on the P2 and use it like hand held? I cannot find anything online and B&H support have no answer

Kiko said:
It's possible to power the gimbal when is not mounted on the P2 and use it like hand held? I cannot find anything online and B&H support have no answer

Nobody has released any kind of handheld kit for the H3-3D. If you wanted to create your own, you would need the model of the gimbal that comes with a separate GCU (the one that comes with the P2 doesn't).

I'm also trying to figure out how to do this. I suppose if you swapped all the circuit boards and power wiring over to some sort of handheld box it would work (the same as if you were holding the phantom, but with a handle. I've heard that the Wookong-M works better as the controller for handheld use? I can't find much information at all.

This has been covered MANY times before - Search on the forum and you will find similar threads.

Short answer is - Forget it. It cannot be done easily.

You would either need to rip out your Naza from your Phantom or.... buy another Naza M v2 etc.

The Zenmuse relies on a feedback loop from the FC to further it's stabilising accuracy. Although the Gimbal has an in built IMU it relies on data coming from the FC gyros and IMU and then effectively 'blends' them (simplistic explanation), does a bit of maths and comes up with a counter torque to keep the gimbal stationary.

It CAN be done but it would need a Naza as well. There are other options out there far more controllable than an H3-3D for handheld work.

Try an Alexmos GCU -> http://www.basecamelectronics.com/

You would probably get a lot of attention using the phantom for a hand-held gimbal even if the props were removed.

npalen said:
You would probably get a lot of attention using the phantom for a hand-held gimbal even if the props were removed.

I've done that at some events. Night shots mostly. Works fine although you have a somewhat awkward package - you can still use it effectively. In reality, and with the props off, it isn't much weirder than one of the handheld contraptions. If I was going to need it regularly, I would buy one of the $399 versions but for occasional use, the Phantom does double doodie.

ladykate said:
npalen said:

I've done that at some events. Night shots mostly. Works fine although you have a somewhat awkward package - you can still use it effectively. In reality, and with the props off, it isn't much weirder than one of the handheld contraptions. If I was going to need it regularly, I would buy one of the $399 versions but for occasional use, the Phantom does double doodie.

+1

I think it makes a fairly decent handheld mount for most needs, once you get the hang of how to handle it. Though I admit that sometimes when I use it for interior filming it feels like I'm doing an exorcism on the place :D

OI Photography said:
+1

I think it makes a fairly decent handheld mount for most needs, once you get the hang of how to handle it. Though I admit that sometimes when I use it for interior filming it feels like I'm doing an exorcism on the place :D

You need to paint some Runes on it and look furtively side to side while you are doing it. :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• runes1.jpg
    runes1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 372

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl