Demo Hand Take Off

Reaction score
The other day I had to take off somewhere where the grass was so high that the lens became dirty and the gimbal got overloaded.
I do not like the idea to take a landing pad with me, so a hand take off would be ideal for me.
I am familiar with hand landing. After reading several threads I decided to try it myself.

Demo Hand Take Off

Although some people recommend not to try it, it was much easier than I thought. This is how I have done it:
123.jpg

I use a strap so I can use my right hand (I am right handed) to hold the phantom and my left for the controller.

1. Grab the right leg from the back and support the AC with your thumb. This way the gimbal is not overloaded and you have a firm grip.
2. Use two fingers from your left hand to start the motors. There is almost no thrust then.
3. Push the left throttle until the weight of the AC is off you hand. This can be done very gently.
Then let go.

Taking off from the hand gives more freedom to take off from less suitable places.

Very well executed. I never did it before.

I always carry a small flat board of 1.5' square. It's easy to handle and good for taking off. I use hand catch for landing.

Very well executed. I never did it before.

I always carry a small flat board of 1.5' square. It's easy to handle and good for taking off. I use hand catch for landing.
Thanks Alokbhargava (is this a mix of names? :) )
Although hand catching is very easy I was afraid to try hand take off.
A few months ago I was on a not level surface. The phantom flipped. Luckily no damages. Also high vegetation can be a problem.
That's why I thought to give hand take off a try.

I turned out to be very easy. I feels like a butterfly lifting off. ;)
If you apply the right amount of thrust, there is almost no pull. Probably because of the great DJI firmware.
Just like with landing, you only have to make sure that you don't touch the props.

I would recommend it to give it a try.

I have launched by hand but prefer to us the Microraptor case it rides in to launch when it's reasonable to do so. I hand catch all the time now. Three tip-overs in wind were enough for me.

Thanks Alokbhargava (is this a mix of names? :) )
Although hand catching is very easy I was afraid to try hand take off.
A few months ago I was on a not level surface. The phantom flipped. Luckily no damages. Also high vegetation can be a problem.
That's why I thought to give hand take off a try.

I turned out to be very easy. I feels like a butterfly lifting off. ;)
If you apply the right amount of thrust, there is almost no pull. Probably because of the great DJI firmware.
Just like with landing, you only have to make sure that you don't touch the props.

I would recommend it to give it a try.
Yes mix of two names. My name is Alok

I will try it on a day when it's not that breezy :)

Reactions: rene van der meer
Another method with the transmitter suspended on a neck strap is to tap the onscreen Auto Launch icon and slide across the screen from left to right with your left index finger to complete the process, while holding the aircraft in your right hand, and then just let go, while adding throttle with your left thumb. You can also hold the aircraft level at arms length using two hands during the warmup before launch.

Reactions: rene van der meer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl