Definition of night time flying

Reaction score
I just crossed my mind while reading about people flying at night.

Here in sweden in the summer especially mid summer that sun dose not go down so we have sunlight all the time.

But in winter it is the opposite and it gets to the point where we have 2 hours of sunlight a day. So like 2.30pm it can be pitchblack.

So the question is the night flying law. Is it based on time or the amount of light here is or something else.

You're lucky, you can fly twice more in summer... And in winter you can shoot the Northern lights as much as you want you lucky bst...rd :)

One common way is to define or base it around sunrise and sunset times.
This way it tracks with the seasons.

Can you check with local Gov't. officials or meteorologists for a Swedish definition?

Ok thanks
but midsummers it is really like the sun dose a lopsided 360 in the sky for nearly a week sometimes offen just dipping below the horizon for an hour.

I just crossed my mind while reading about people flying at night.

Here in sweden in the summer especially mid summer that sun dose not go down so we have sunlight all the time.

But in winter it is the opposite and it gets to the point where we have 2 hours of sunlight a day. So like 2.30pm it can be pitchblack.

So the question is the night flying law. Is it based on time or the amount of light here is or something else.
In the US is based on charts provided by the US Naval Observatory.
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

Day/night is based on local ephemeridies, meaning the specific time when the sun disk goes below the horizon. You should easily find for your location the so called "table of ephemeridies" where, day by day, has been calculated sunrise and sunset. You can find it googling in meteorological or aeronautical sites, or looking into A.I.P. (aeronautical information pubblication) issued by the Swedish air traffic controlling agency. You must know exactly your geo coordinates.
And yes, according to this, you are very lucky in summer and very unlucky in winter...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl