Dedicated P4P Range and Distance discussion

Due to the P4P having the capability of two different frequencies I think it might be difficult to maximize an aftermarket antenna set up. I'm no expert, but I do know the antenna would need to different sizes for 2.4 vs 5.8.... maybe some clever person can make an antenna with dual band antenna innards?

I'd like to improve my signal, but for now I will use my windsurfer....

.....That being said above, I suppose you could just use the booster on the one designated frequency band - 2.4GHz. I guess you wouldn't really need it on both frequencies, but it might disable/degrade the other 5.8GHz and possibly damage the output module?...

.....That being said above, I suppose you could just use the booster on the one designated frequency band - 2.4GHz. I guess you wouldn't really need it on both frequencies, but it might disable/degrade the other 5.8GHz and possibly damage the output module?...
In DJI GO 4, the HD setting of a manual Custom channel (32 channel hack supported, too) is exclusively 2.4 GHz, while the Auto channel selection uses either 5.8 or 2.4 Ghz, so it would seem that adding a 2.4 GHz DBS-02 panel to the transmitter with boosters would be best.

Any new distance records?
Lots of disappointment here. Complete signal loss occurs at 6700 feet at 400 feet AGL, and after RTH kicks in, it does not restore signal after elevating, until within 1500 feet! Very nervous 3 minutes wondering why signal is not immediately restored, shortly after aircraft heads home, and starts coming closer! Must be a lemon, but DJI appears to be mass producing lemons this time! I have the same issue with two P4P's and a P4P+. Early units are not up to specs! P4 and P3P have no trouble reaching 2+ miles in the same area, and video always drops out first, and as soon as you elevate10 to 20 feet, video is immediately restored. Not so with the P4P. Signal loss immediately produces video loss. Video is never lost first. I guess that is encouraging, as the control signal can easily be amplified and focused, while the video downlink will already be strong enough to support it.

Last edited:
Lots of disappointment here. Complete signal loss occurs at 6700 feet at 400 feet AGL, and after RTH kicks in, it does not restore signal after elevating, until within 1500 feet! Very nervous 3 minutes wondering why signal is not immediately restored, shortly after aircraft heads home, and starts coming closer! Must be a lemon, but DJI appears to be mass producing lemons this time! I have the same issue with two P4P's and a P4P+. Early units are not up to specs! P4 and P3P have no trouble reaching 2+ miles in the same area, and video always drops out first, and as soon as you elevate10 to 20 feet, video is immediately restored. Not so with the P4P. Signal loss immediately produces video loss. Video is never lost first. I guess that is encouraging, as the control signal can easily be amplified and focused, while the video downlink will already be strong enough to support it.
Have you contacted DJI about it? I have seen where similar situations were reported and DJI had to repair something in the drone.

Have you contacted DJI about it? I have seen where similar situations were reported and DJI had to repair something in the drone.
I'll be returning them to B&H before February 1, if no resolution is found. Best to start fresh, with one that was made properly! That's usually the second or third batch, after DJI finds out where the mistakes in QC exist, and the firmware and software have been refined. Never buy version 1.0.0.0 of anything.:cool:

Reactions: Norval
In the "other" thread there are several reports of 11,000-19,000 feet.
"Other"? The ones I have seen are all over water or rural areas at well over 400-600 feet AGL, flying at 30mph. Water reflects the signal instead of diffracting it, so it produces the best range. Unfortunately, there is nothing of interest to film that far out over water, unless you are chasing whales or cruise ships.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I EASILY fly my P4Pro at over 4 miles out. And I'm in a major, major urban area with tons of interference. The range is insane. Perfect feed and only limited by battery.
The addition of the 5.8Ghz makes this easily, easily possible. I get infinitely better range than any of my DBS modded P4s. No need for antenna mods on this. The range is basically one of the biggest upgrades with this drone.

If you are getting shitty range, then you have a lemon and need a replacement.

"Other"? The ones I have seen are all over water or rural areas at well over 400-600 feet AGL, flying at 30mph. Water reflects the signal instead of diffracting it, so it produces the best range. Unfortunately, there is nothing of interest to film that far out over water, unless you are chasing whales or cruise ships.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I EASILY fly my P4Pro at over 4 miles out. And I'm in a major, major urban area with tons of interference. The range is insane. Perfect feed and only limited by battery.
The addition of the 5.8Ghz makes this easily, easily possible. I get infinitely better range than any of my DBS modded P4s. No need for antenna mods on this. The range is basically one of the biggest upgrades with this drone.

If you are getting shitty range, then you have a lemon and need a replacement.
To say you have no idea what I am talking about, with only two messages on this board, is ludicrous at best. :rolleyes: Yes, apparently I have not one, but three lemons! Glad you found a good one! Gives some of us hope. However, hope is not a plan or a solution. Please supply a flight log which proves your contention.

Yes- you have 3 lemons. And I know plenty of P4P owners who get range like me.

To say you have no idea what I am talking about, with only two messages on this board, is ludicrous at best. :rolleyes: Yes, apparently I have not one, but three lemons! Glad you found a good one! Gives some of us hope. However, hope is not a plan or a solution. Please supply a flight log which proves your contention.

I'll be returning them to B&H before February 1, if no resolution is found. Best to start fresh, with one that was made properly! That's usually the second or third batch, after DJI finds out where the mistakes in QC exist, and the firmware and software have been refined. Never buy version 1.0.0.0 of anything.:cool:
Except there are people getting great range. Another guy just posted 22,000 feet. This batch is fine but you might have a bad apple.

Hey guys, what about the settings? Are you flying a custom channel at 4mbps (transmission quality)? Or are you flying auto channel all the time?

I'm assuming on your other birds when they got replace the issue was resolved?....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor