DBS Antenna Polarization

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what type of polarization the DBS Itelite uses for the 2.4g?

I was under the impression that all antennas on the P3S were linear. But read online that DBS antennas can be both RHCP or LHCP.

If the DBS is using circular polarization but the bird is using linear wouldn't a set of clover leafs on the bird increase video signal immensely?

Can anyone tell me what type of polarization the DBS Itelite uses for the 2.4g?

I was under the impression that all antennas on the P3S were linear. But read online that DBS antennas can be both RHCP or LHCP.

If the DBS is using circular polarization but the bird is using linear wouldn't a set of clover leafs on the bird increase video signal immensely?
Don't know the answer to your question but have a DBS also and a set of these ordered, but for my 5.8 signal bird side. I'll let you know once I get them from China what the results were good or bad. I'm currently using a set of dipoles for that control signal bedside.

They are linear polarized.

To your other interest...
...mixing circular and linear polarizations usually results in a -3db, or half power, 'penalty' while mixing RH / LH or Vert. / Horiz. can result in upto a -20db penalty.

Don't know the answer to your question but have a DBS also and a set of these ordered, but for my 5.8 signal bird side. I'll let you know once I get them from China what the results were good or bad. I'm currently using a set of dipoles for that control signal bedside.

Cool. Definitely post back with your results. Right now I'm using the advanced/ pro 2.4 antennas birdside. I was curious as to what type of polarization the DBS was actually throwing at the bird. Wanted to verify a proper match for maximum performance. Same goes for the 5.8 but it's looking like linear is the way to go if you are in love with your DBS and want to keep it.

Last edited:
They are linear polarized.

To your other interest...
...mixing circular and linear polarizations usually results in a -3db, or half power, 'penalty' while mixing RH / LH or Vert. / Horiz. can result in upto a -20db penalty.

Thank you. I guess the only real option is a set of those "bazooka" dipoles from fpvlr.com

Thank you. I guess the only real option is a set of those "bazooka" dipoles from fpvlr.com
I also have the part#3 ( advanced 2.4 antennas birdside) myself. Also have the bazooka dipoles for both the 2.4 and 5.8 birdside. So currently running with the (part#3) in the legs for the 2.4 signal and the dipoles for the 5.8 signal. That gives me over 3000 meters on a bad day, and up to 7000 meters on a real good day (my max).

I also have the part#3 ( advanced 2.4 antennas birdside) myself. Also have the bazooka dipoles for both the 2.4 and 5.8 birdside. So currently running with the (part#3) in the legs for the 2.4 signal and the dipoles for the 5.8 signal. That gives me over 3000 meters on a bad day, and up to 7000 meters on a real good day (my max).

That's some distance! And you got this with just the birdside mods you mentioned and the DBS?

My max has been 10,840 feet before my 5.8 signal starts to deteriorate and I initiate RTH. I'm sure I could push it a bit farther on a good day but I never have. I don't really need to fly farther but I would like to have rock solid video and control at 2 miles. Clearly going to need to look into these dipoles more. Kinda pricey from what I can see.

That's some distance! And you got this with just the birdside mods you mentioned and the DBS?

My max has been 10,840 feet before my 5.8 signal starts to deteriorate and I initiate RTH. I'm sure I could push it a bit farther on a good day but I never have. I don't really need to fly farther but I would like to have rock solid video and control at 2 miles. Clearly going to need to look into these dipoles more. Kinda pricey from what I can see.
And these.

Attachments

• IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 292

How hard was it to do the 5.8 bird side antenna mod? I can't seem to find much on the actually process. Any words of wisdom?

How hard was it to do the 5.8 bird side antenna mod? I can't seem to find much on the actually process. Any words of wisdom?
If you've done the DBS mod the wiring is not too much different, with the exception of running the wires. You have to run them down and out through the leg openings, then come up with where and how your going to mount the RP-SMA female connector. The hard part, at least for me was getting that top part off the drone. I have a link somewhere from YouTube that I watch to help me out with that, I'll post it if I still have it. These guys on YouTube make it look easy.

The hard part, at least for me was getting that top part off the drone. I have a link somewhere from YouTube that I watch to help me out with that, I'll post it if I still have it. These guys on YouTube make it look easy.

Yea that's what scares me the most is splitting the shell to get to the little UFL posts inside. I will have to dig deeper on YouTube there's got to be a video out there!

Thanks for the help man, it's appreciated [emoji106]

There are many on it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: 805hd

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan