Custom Made ND filter no added weight Updated with Comparison Photos

Dataway it might be a god idea to post handling instructions for the gels before you send too many out and start getting complaints, etc.. One poster on another forum said if you get a fingerprint on a gel you might as well throw it in the trash, and that you cant clean them like you can a glass filter.

gfredrone - good Idea about handling instructions since i am going to create a classifieds thread I will put that in there....

But just to clarify that is wrong information on the GEL material especially with the high end Gel that I am supplying and this GEL material can be wiped with a lens cloth to clean away dirt or fingerprints the cheaper GEL material does have issues with cleaning as it will scratch easily.

I will post the handling direction in both threads.

Safe Handling Instruction for the filters are as follows:

As with any camera equipment we want to try and keep it clean and dust free as possible..
My suggestions and how I handle my filters is to use a set of non-powdered latex gloves, I carry a pair in my camera bag and also in my P3 case. I also carry a lens cloth with me which can be had for very low cost if not free from your local camera store.

Prior to each flight and as part of my pre-flight check :

1. Gauge my lighting conditions I will be flying in and choose how many filters I will be needing to keep my frame rates in check.
2. Gently remove my Glass lens cap and glass lens cover.
3. Use my lens cloth to clean the glass lens cover prior to inserting the ND Filters also in this process and before wiping the glass lens cover I give it a quick blow of air in case there is any particles that may scratch the lens cover when I wipe it with my lens cloth.
4. Pull out the required number of filters and again give them a little blow of air and I usually hold them up to the light and look through them to be sure they are clean if not use your lens cloth and give them a light wipe, the Wratten and Tiffen GEL can be wiped clean of fingerprints and any other debris.
5. Place the lens with filters installed back on the Camera housing and lightly screw back on until snug , Please be careful to not over tighten.
6. I always give the front of the glass lens cover a quick look and wipe if necessary to be sure it is clean.
7. Go FLY and Enjoy.

Yours looks a little hazy too, like mine. Also there appears to be a blurry spot in the middle towards the upper right hand. Was there any water on the lens?

Before putting the filter in I made sure to wipe everything down with a micro fiber cloth and wear rubber gloves. I'd hate to put the filter in, take an awesome video, and then find out later that it had a big finger print right in the middle.
yeah, it was misting that day. Haze was the mist

I don't know much about ND filters (or any filters for that matter).

Is there any disadvantage to just always leaving a filter in? When would it be preferred not to have any filters?

I went out flying this morning with my friend who is a professional photographer both for movie and private industry and we had a look at the videos that were posted and he offered some advice on the hazy images we were seeing and he immediately said it is overexposure that tend to cause that in most cases so today was a bright day and to put that to the test we tried to recreate the condition and low and behold we were able to by just barely overexposing the video, it is a very fine line I am learning and he gave me a great tutorial on using the histogram to alleviate it. On the second flight he helped me tune the settings using the Histogram readings to shoot what photographers call Exposing to the right and it made a world of difference in the output the haze that we created in the first video that we shot together was eliminated and clarity was back in its full glory...I took a lot of notes so I will try and put together a write up on what I learned in hopes it will help you all....

I don't know much about ND filters (or any filters for that matter).

Is there any disadvantage to just always leaving a filter in? When would it be preferred not to have any filters?

ND filters are used based on your lighting conditions and requirements and under certain conditions yes I do fly with no filters under low light conditions.

Hey data,
This my be a dumb question, but is there anyway I can use these filters on my P2v+ as well...if so how did/would you attach if at all possible
Thanks

Hey data,
This my be a dumb question, but is there anyway I can use these filters on my P2v+ as well...if so how did/would you attach if at all possible
Thanks
Unfortunately the P2V+ camera is a totally different form factor so unfortunately there would not be an easy way to attach the filter to the lens. The only way i can think of is to use double sided tape around the edge of the camera then stick the gel to that but that may leave a residue on the filter therefore possibly ruining it.

Reactions: Bigdz
I went out flying this morning with my friend who is a professional photographer both for movie and private industry and we had a look at the videos that were posted and he offered some advice on the hazy images we were seeing and he immediately said it is overexposure that tend to cause that in most cases so today was a bright day and to put that to the test we tried to recreate the condition and low and behold we were able to by just barely overexposing the video, it is a very fine line I am learning and he gave me a great tutorial on using the histogram to alleviate it. On the second flight he helped me tune the settings using the Histogram readings to shoot what photographers call Exposing to the right and it made a world of difference in the output the haze that we created in the first video that we shot together was eliminated and clarity was back in its full glory...I took a lot of notes so I will try and put together a write up on what I learned in hopes it will help you all....
I can't wait to read whatever you put together. It makes sense that it's overexposure and not the gel because I've seen it in other videos before I had the gel and I am really **** with keeping my lens clean.

Mine turned up a couple of days ago, not had a chance to get out and try them yet, whilst they are delicate I don't have a problem handling them by the edges, as soon as I get some footage I will get something posted. Great job Data......:D

Wanted to provide an update to all that ordered in this last round, as promised your orders will go out in today mail and I had enough filter material to fulfill all orders...Thanks again ...

Cool thank you ... look forward to it. It's sunny today finally and was thinking about them., We are both in Southern Ca so you already know that I guess. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119