CRASHED 2 DRONES TODAY

Reaction score
Bought litchi today, crashed 2 birds, both standards, first one, hit a tree in fpv manual mode, my fault.. 2nd, sent out in a mission, 6 waypoints, started at 390ft altitide, at the 2nd waypoint the bird decended to 98 feet the proceeded to the 2nd and 3rd waypoint as programmed, the clipped a tree right before 4th waypoint.. i just dont get that.

Without seeing your mission plan and the relative to ground heights, it may be as simple as not accounting for trees or other structures during flight. Not sure if you planned the mission using the 'relative to ground' feature in the batch fit tool where it takes into account the ground beneath the drone, but that is what a lot of us use. I add another 30 mtrs to account for trees and man made structures.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Without seeing your mission plan and the relative to ground heights, it may be as simple as not accounting for trees or other structures during flight. Not sure if you planned the mission using the 'relative to ground' feature in the batch fit tool where it takes into account the ground beneath the drone, but that is what a lot of us use. I add another 30 mtrs to account for trees and man made structures.

well, i didnt set any height parameters.. i punched the waypoints on the map and hit go.. when i get one of them back up i'll look into it. i didnt save the flight plan

2nd, sent out in a mission, 6 waypoints, started at 390ft altitide, at the 2nd waypoint the bird decended to 98 feet the proceeded to the 2nd and 3rd waypoint as programmed, the clipped a tree right before 4th waypoint.. i just dont get that.
Litchi is very good at flying exactly where you program it to.
The first thing to check is what was programmed.
Flying in the vicinity of trees and obstacles can be especially dangerous and you need to check twice and have a safety margin.
Did you allow for changes in terrain as well as tree heights?

Litchi is very good at flying exactly where you program it to.
The first thing to check is what was programmed.
Flying in the vicinity of trees and obstacles can be especially dangerous and you need to check twice and have a safety margin.
Did you allow for changes in terrain as well as tree heights?

no, i ascended to 398 feet or so an assumed it would maintain the height.. it decended to 100 feet without me telling it to

no, i ascended to 398 feet or so an assumed it would maintain the height.. it decended to 100 feet without me telling it to
You have to be extra careful setting up a waypoint mission because what you set is what you get.
Making assumptions is unlikely to be very helpful.

When you place waypoints on the map, there is a default height of 30 metres (100 ft).
You can adjust that up or down to suit the mission and your local environment.
The 30 in the cloud above each waypoint here is the height
i-NrbjxXL-L.png

You can edit the waypoint properties here:
i-9RjnpB3-L.png

Reactions: deltamike and tevek
well, i didnt set any height parameters.. i punched the waypoints on the map and hit go.. when i get one of them back up i'll look into it. i didnt save the flight plan
I think therein lies the problem. When you select each waypoint you can customise a number of actions, the most important being the height Above ground at any WP. If you are just starting out with Litchi, try punching in a height at each WP that is way above anything in the flight path to get comfortable with running missions.
An easier way to plan a mission is to simply mark out your waypoints on the screen and:
Tap the wrench symbol on the top right of the screen.
Tap the square symbol at the bottom of the drop down menu.
Tap select all
Tap edit
Tap 'home' at the top and select 'ground' at the bottom of the screen.
Adjust your relative altitude and hit apply.
Your altitude height will be automatically applied to all your WPs, and take into account the ground height to your drone as it passes over each WP. As I mentioned earlier, I add an extra 30 metres as a safety factor.

Reactions: Meta4
The default altitude when I plan a new mission, is always 98 ft. ALWAYS save your missions for this very reason. You can look back and see what errors you made. In addition, you might want to fly the same mission again.

Here's what appears to be what happened in your case. You laid out your waypoints (which defaulted to 98 ft). You then set your first waypoint to 398 ft and didn't look at/change the succeeding waypoints to an altitude different from the default 98 ft, assuming they would ALL be 398 ft. This makes me wonder how much time you spent reading the manual or watching videos on how to use Litchi. Not trying to be critical but reading the manual and having a thorough understanding of the Litchi app is of paramount importance to using it successfully. Attention to detail is CRITICAL. You can't "assume" anything. You saying it descended without you telling it to is incorrect. By not checking the altitude at each waypoint clearly displayed on your screen, you DID, in effect, tell it to descend, albeit unintentionally.

Read the manual from front to back until you understand it (It's short (43 pages)) and is downloadable here:

For IOS:
Litchi for iOS February 2017.pdf

For Android:
Litchi P3 1_10_16.pdf

It would also do you well to watch this video:

... when i get one of them back up i'll look into it. i didnt save the flight plan
You don't have to get one of them back up to look into it. Open Litchi and plan a short mission (which you'll save), taking care to look at the altitude of EACH waypoint. Go over every aspect of the mission until you're satisfied it's correct, then save it (or do like I do and save it every few minutes as you're planning it).

The default altitude when I plan a new mission, is always 98 ft. ALWAYS save your missions for this very reason. You can look back and see what errors you made. In addition, you might want to fly the same mission again.

Here's what appears to be what happened in your case. You laid out your waypoints (which defaulted to 98 ft). You then set your first waypoint to 398 ft and didn't look at/change the succeeding waypoints to an altitude different from the default 98 ft, assuming they would ALL be 398 ft. This makes me wonder how much time you spent reading the manual or watching videos on how to use Litchi. Not trying to be critical but reading the manual and having a thorough understanding of the Litchi app is of paramount importance to using it successfully. Attention to detail is CRITICAL. You can't "assume" anything. You saying it descended without you telling it to is incorrect. By not checking the altitude at each waypoint clearly displayed on your screen, you DID, in effect, tell it to descend, albeit unintentionally.

Read the manual from front to back until you understand it (It's short (43 pages)) and is downloadable here:

For IOS:
Litchi for iOS February 2017.pdf

For Android:
Litchi P3 1_10_16.pdf

It would also do you well to watch this video:

youre absolutly correct, i took another bird out and actually took my time and ran a close multi point mission, and figured out the altitude setting and yes, i did exactly as you suspected. i have 5 of these p3s aircraft.. 3 still fly until i fix these two.. thanks for your insight..

Reactions: Pharm
You don't have to get one of them back up to look into it. Open Litchi and plan a short mission (which you'll save), taking care to look at the altitude of EACH waypoint. Go over every aspect of the mission until you're satisfied it's correct, then save it (or do like I do and save it every few minutes as you're planning it).

i had hoped it would save flight data like go does.. sadly no, it appears not, but i know what i did wrong now

Man o man! 5 PS3's? Joe b....Will you be my new friend?
I just crashed mine during a trip to Texas , and need parts ... lots of parts!

Bought litchi today, crashed 2 birds, both standards, first one, hit a tree in fpv manual mode, my fault.. 2nd, sent out in a mission, 6 waypoints, started at 390ft altitide, at the 2nd waypoint the bird decended to 98 feet the proceeded to the 2nd and 3rd waypoint as programmed, the clipped a tree right before 4th waypoint.. i just dont get that.
No more drones for you...

Every time before I fly a Litchi mission ... when I press the arrow to load the mission I verify that each waypoint altitude is correct.

If all of them are the same altitude you most likely have selected "home" instead of "ground".

As stated before ... "ground" will make the bird maintain a pre-set distance between the bird and the ground below and altitude will vary with the terrain.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I love the Litchi app, I spent hours reading and watching youtube videos of anything I could find on Litchi, especially the waypoint missions. This went on until it all sank in and I felt confident to fly a mission, I have now flown around 6 waypoint flights, my last couple where 3 miles in total, the last one was flown on terrain that kept changing so I was glad I did my home work.
This was my last flight using waypoints.

Flack

I think therein lies the problem. When you select each waypoint you can customise a number of actions, the most important being the height Above ground at any WP. If you are just starting out with Litchi, try punching in a height at each WP that is way above anything in the flight path to get comfortable with running missions.
An easier way to plan a mission is to simply mark out your waypoints on the screen and:
Tap the wrench symbol on the top right of the screen.
Tap the square symbol at the bottom of the drop down menu.
Tap select all
Tap edit
Tap 'home' at the top and select 'ground' at the bottom of the screen.
Adjust your relative altitude and hit apply.
Your altitude height will be automatically applied to all your WPs, and take into account the ground height to your drone as it passes over each WP. As I mentioned earlier, I add an extra 30 metres as a safety factor.
Here is a screenshot of what Tevek was explaining and would only know if you've read the manual and/or watched a bunch of videos, I just find it incredibly strange that so many people are going out and flying their expensive drones without studying a lot about their operation, it's like "I know how to drive a car so flying this drone shouldn't be anymore difficult".

Attachments

• IMG_2229.PNG
    IMG_2229.PNG
    5.5 MB · Views: 309

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl