Cracked Antenna Affect Functionality?

Reaction score
605fd8863a0d1f86e8111e1c9c954bdb.jpg

Can someone tell me if this crack would have any impact to the functionality of the antenna? I just opened my Manfrotto bag this morning to drone in Chicago and noticed this. It must have happened in transport.

Thanks,

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

3b4e6ac96419b15e21dec2c8408aa057.jpg

Also FYI maybe some of you know this but I would not cross the antennas when storing controller. I believe this is what caused the antenna to crack when I bumped into something with the backpack.

Not likely.
It's just an outer cover for aesthetics. Unless... you somehow cracked the antenna inside which would only be possible if it is a PCB type and you really bent it.
If it's a coaxial wire type then certainly not likely.

...Kyle, actually Yes, It 'Could'.. these are MicroStrip or Patch Antenna's, 'IF' the plastic is in contact with the board or mis-shapen enuf it could affect the dielectric properties, the only real question is by how much.. the spacers inside are not just to keep it from rattling inside they also there to Space it.. just a suggestion, 3/8'' or 1/2'' WHT Electrical tape, wrapped tight, Low...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Also FYI maybe some of you know this but I would not cross the antennas when storing controller. I believe this is what caused the antenna to crack when I bumped into something with the backpack.

...Rich, please find attached. image, GL300C Antenna, With Cover Installed, Cover in Contact with, Cover 1/3 Off & Cover Removed, as
you can see the cover very much affects the properties of the antenna.. as you can also see with the cover installed this antenna is most
resonate @approx 2490MHz...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net
upload_2017-2-15_14-8-51.png

Can someone tell me if this crack would have any impact to the functionality of the antenna? I just opened my Manfrotto bag this morning to drone in Chicago and noticed this. .

I have opened one of those antennas before. The antenna is actually a skinny circuit board array that slides inside the antenna tube that you broke. The integrity of the outer antenna shell has little to do with the integrity of the inner circuit board, IMO. If you didn't break the inner circuit board you can likely put some epoxy on the cracked antenna area and reverse stress the antenna shell in a way to make it straight, while the epoxy sets up and dries. The result will be ugly, but it should work fine if the inner antenna board is intact.

The easiest way to test the integrity of the inner antenna circuit board is to fly the craft in an open field and see if the range is good. That particular antenna is the control signal antenna, it does not affect your video reception. So in the field, setup the drone ready to fly with power on, then walk about 200' away and see if the motors will start up from that distance. If they will, then it's likely the antenna integrity is good. When you fly, watch the RC signal strength meter bar. The signal strength data is sent by the craft via the right side video reception antenna. If you see the signal bars (in red below) weakening before it should, such as 1000' in an open field, you may have a damaged internal antenna circuit board. If you ever lose signal totally, the craft should auto RTH. This shouldn't be a risk to test.

upload_2017-2-15_18-26-35.png

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if this crack would have any impact to the functionality of the antenna? I just opened my Manfrotto bag this morning to drone in Chicago and noticed this. It must have happened in transport.

Thanks,

Kyle
...Kyle, I've got another cover you can have, pvt msg, we'll xchg nfo if you want it...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl