Crack after update - warranty expired day of...

Reaction score
So I had the wobble crack thing happen to my P4P.. I have asked for help in the DJI forums but no one seems to really say much.. My question is, is this still safe to fly and is there an easy way to fix/mend without compromising much.

I really don't want to send it in and pay out 200-300 for a repair to something that should not have happened in the first place..

My Phantom has never been treated rough.. My mind is blown right now..

Attachments

• IMG_7332.JPG
    IMG_7332.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 822
I would still register the complaint with DJI. If enough people do this, they may do something about it.

If you decide not to do it, DOWNGRADE the FIRMWARE STRAIGHT AWAY! The problem will only get worse with the existing firmware that is loaded in the aircraft.

Next step is to stop the crack from propagating. Perhaps get a new lower outer shell or use an epoxy to seal the crack?

I would still register the complaint with DJI. If enough people do this, they may do something about it.

If you decide not to do it, DOWNGRADE the FIRMWARE STRAIGHT AWAY! The problem will only get worse with the existing firmware that is loaded in the aircraft.

Next step is to stop the crack from propagating. Perhaps get a new lower outer shell or use an epoxy to seal the crack?

That's what I am hoping that someone can tell me.. What kind of epoxy, super glue etc. do I use?

Did you check out the glue in post 2? My guess is you could use that or any kind of modelling/super glue to prevent the crack from expanding. More pressing thing would be to downgrade the firmware before even thinking of taking flight again.

If you are really concerned about how the aircraft looks, perhaps replacing the lower shell would work best.

Did you check out the glue in post 2? My guess is you could use that or any kind of modelling/super glue to prevent the crack from expanding. More pressing thing would be to downgrade the firmware before even thinking of taking flight again.

If you are really concerned about how the aircraft looks, perhaps replacing the lower shell would work best.
Ah.. Lol I didn't see that post, it went straight to the post below it. Replacing the lower shell seems a little past my expertise.. I did downgrade right after I saw the crack and stopped flying but I am now going crazy lol. I love flying and taking pictures with it.. I will update soon!

Reactions: JoBe
That may be an option. If you can't find the firmware you may have to get it from a third party site. I used a program called dumbledore to load the 509 firmware. There was a thread somewhere here. I will try and find the link.

Your saying a software update caused this?
The last two firmware updates are causing the motors to pulsate or shudder hard after landing and motor shut down. I believe that the motors are torquing the ends of the arms really hard and causing cracks to appear. I downgraded my firmware back to .602 and the shudder is gone. I am not even sure really why I updated the firmware. I use Litchi to do my 360 degree panos - no firmware update required.

Anyway I did buy some Loctite Ultragel Control and did a test on an old battery that had a cracked face on it. The gel held it together great and the bead that was over it hardened up as well. I had used this gel on my fiancee's key FOB and it has held up VERY well compared to regular super glue.. I went ahead and removed the LED lens cover and found that the crack actually ended in the area where the plastic tab from the lens sits (there is a hole in this area). I spread the plastic pieces apart gently and put down a bead along the entire crack. It has hardened up and will cure completely by tomorrow. I will post some pictures tomorrow after I test it out as well. It isn't beautiful, but no one will notice it if they aren't looking for it..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor