Copter dumps over on motor shutdown?

I tried throttle down, CSC, pressing the button on the battery to stop it. Had to pull the battery out. By that time, with the motors running at top speed, they were smoking.

I tried throttle down, CSC, pressing the button on the battery to stop it. Had to pull the battery out. By that time, with the motors running at top speed, they were smoking.
Unfortunately, we've had several people report the exact same thing after a flip over. We were skeptical of course since CSC at that time was still supposed to be close to instant. The 3 second delay had not been implemented yet. As more and more people had the same problem we came to realize the truth is that CSC is not entirely reliable for stopping motors after a flip over. I commented on it a couple of times last year and sadly it still seems to be an issue as we see it reported regularly.

landed on side, squeal and smoke

Emergency cut-off my arse!

Last edited:
I "backed" into a bush last week and the aircraft tumbled to the ground and landed 100% upside down on the props. It immediately went into what seemed to be FULL power (I assume trying to right itself) which was NOT a good thing. I was a few hundred feet away at the time so needless to say I didn't get to the aircraft quickly to do a manual battery pull.

I initially applied down throttle to kill the motors but it had no effect I'm assuming because the sensors were not getting the needed parameters for a "normal" motor shutdown. Of course CSC was next. It took what seemed like 10 seconds to stop the motors but in reality it was the standard 3sec delay. What I'm thinking is most people either don't realize there is a 3sec time frame in which you must maintain full CSC (if you left off any the timer stops etc) or that 3sec seems like an eternity and they quit before it hits that mark.

I can confirm that a full 3sec CSC will (or at least it did in my case) stop the motors in a fully upside down case.

For the record.. it was unnerving seeing and hearing it upside down like that. Thank goodness it landed on a flat/smooth area and didn't become an R/C weed-eater LOL.

In much older versions of the firmware I believe CSC was more close to instantaneous but several people were inadvertently performing a CSC in normal (I say normal with tongue in cheek because that's not a normal flight stick position) flight. Of course when the CSC shut down the motors the aircraft returns to TerraFirma quickly and destructively. For this reason DJI implemented the 3sec rule (like when you drop a chip on the floor LOL) for the CSC Shutdown.

This was with a 2016(early 16) Phantom3Pro with up to date firmware etc just for the record.

Your props are balanced to allow for smooth safe flights. Even the smallest of nicks "can" cause an imbalance in the prop. Imbalance can go from minor vibrations leading up to potential system failure as something could be "vibrated loose" in the aircraft.

We carefully balance brand new UN-nicked props for this reason. While many will say "Yes you CAN fly with a nicked prop" it's not a good idea and not something I would personally do or allow someone who flies for me to do. It's pretty much a failure looking for a place to happen.

Now realize I'm the type of person who errors WAY on the side of caution.Also realize that with our QUADs (four rotors) there is zero redundancy so if you lose a single prop/motor/ESC that aircraft is going to reconnect with TerraFirma in a very dramatic fashion.

Hence that's why I fitted a auto deployment parachute. It's sure going to malfunction one day that's for sure

Reactions: Jeff watson
@Jav... I think everyone would be interested in seeing a couple of pics or a video, showing your parachute, if you weren't joking.

Brand new 2 day old 3SE. Landed perfectly than used CSC to perform motor shut down as it was listed first in the setup guide. Flipped on it's side which caused it to drag across my driveway into the grass. It did not shut down. I picked it up and pulled the battery as it didn't respond. Only sign of damage was a nicked prop and a scrape on on the bottom of one leg. Afterwards I lost my camera screen and received a loss of comm error with the controller. Long story short it's back at DJI for repairs. I hope it's covered under warranty, but from what I have read doubt it. I would have thought that it would be a little more durable than to have this kind of issue on the ground!! It's unfortunate that I found about the CSC issue after performing it.

Brand new 2 day old 3SE. Landed perfectly than used CSC to perform motor shut down as it was listed first in the setup guide. Flipped on it's side which caused it to drag across my driveway into the grass. It did not shut down. I picked it up and pulled the battery as it didn't respond. Only sign of damage was a nicked prop and a scrape on on the bottom of one leg. Afterwards I lost my camera screen and received a loss of comm error with the controller. Long story short it's back at DJI for repairs. I hope it's covered under warranty, but from what I have read doubt it. I would have thought that it would be a little more durable than to have this kind of issue on the ground!! It's unfortunate that I found about the CSC issue after performing it.
Update:
DJI received the drone Monday. Today I received an email saying it was evaluated and it will be covered under warranty. I'm surprised as to everything I have read made it sound like it was unlikely it would be covered. As of now they didn't post what was wrong but I will update when I find out.

Reactions: Jeff watson
To BigAl07 - Just curious, when you "backed" into the bush, was the aircraft pointed toward you and you accidentally pushed the right stick in the wrong direction to move the aircraft away from the bush?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor