Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Contour Camera on Phantom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by imfuller, Apr 4, 2013.

1. imfuller

Anyone have a Contour? Just at work going over some Contour footage, and a light bulb went off. The contours are lighter, have different mounts, AAAND a GPS tracking with altitude, speed, etc etc.

Im gonna try and get my hands on one to test out, until then, has anyone tried them on the phantom? I found some footage online but it was very Jello-y, but I'm sure there are different dampening solutions.

2. Sac D

I looked at the Contour, but didn't pull the trigger. Looks nice though! And the specs are similar to most of the other choices.

3. Lights Out

Any thoughts on how to properly mount a contour to the phantom?

4. tanasit

I have a Contour and had been trying to figure out how to mount it to my Phantom so that there's be no jello.

1. Stock mount = jello.
    2. Stock mount + sorbothane + rubber grommets around the screws = less jello.
    3. Velcro loop = less jello.
    4. Velcro loop + sorbothane = still some jello here & there.
    5. Velcro loop + sorbothane + foam pad = jello FREE.

See pictures below: (the camera mount is from the head strap set that I just slipped the Velcro through)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later on, I added the FPV so the little FPV camera goes in as seen below:(Contour has no video output for the FPV transmitter)

[​IMG]

Without the green foam pad (from the children play pad), the Velcro seemed to swing when the Phantom roll in turn thus caused the swinging video. As for addition protection, I tie the hand strap to the landing gear.

5. DeweyAXD

I've just knocked this 3D model up after someone mentioned the need to mount a drift HD to the Phantom (the drift also has a Tripod thread). It would work for both or any camera with a tripod thread. I've not had one made yet but if there is interest someone is free to have it made themselves and be a beta tester.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see it is basically a GoPro mount to 'Camera hotshoe' bracket. You would then get a 'Hotshoe to Tripod adapter' like this for a about £2.50 from ebay. The alloy ones are good and weight 20grams max.

[​IMG]

You undo the knurled nut, slide the mount into the hotshoe/gropro, srew it down tight. Then do the same at the other end on the camera (maybe with an extra 1/2 inch nylock nut for security). Food for thought so PM if there is interest

6. maytrix

7. GearLoose

I've been checking the specifications and the Contour 2 and Contour +2 weigh 5.1 and 5.5 ounces respectively. This is not lighter than a naked GoPro Hero 3 -- but very close to the weight of the Hero 3 with the addition of a waterproof housing. I believe that adding a waterproof housing to the +2 would make it heavier than the GoPro.

But... I don't have a Contour so perhaps I've misread the figures?

I am interested in the Contour 2 because it is waterproof -- but only to three feet, so perhaps it is best described as "dunk proof". I doubt that it would survive a typical Phantom water crash and sinking but it would handy for controlled water landings, a project I've been dabbling with (very cautiously).

I used a Drift HD on my Phantom until switching to a much lighter GoPro. I really prefer the Drift's controls, LCD screen, and swivel lens but it is something of a pig in terms of weight.

8. weven

My Ion-Air Pro no jello mount.
    Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Marlow

I realize this thread is like 2 years old, but thought, I'd shed some input in how I solved this issue.

I found a cheap GoPro shockmounted Gimbal on eBay: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181663545096 . If the add doesn't work anymore, search for "gopro anti-vibration gimbal phantom". The price is around 15-20 quid and it's made mostly of carbon fiber.

I then bought a GoPro mount for the Contour camera from Amazon. Search for "Contour Conversion Adapter Standard Gopro" there. Costs about a 10er.

The result is actually really nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And quite happy with the first flight:

Now to find a way to make a 2D Gimbal to work with the Contour camera.

/M

10. Marlow