Compatible tablets

Reaction score
Okay, hope this isn't repeating a subject, but I searched without any hits.

My brother is an idiot. He bought 3 phantoms at $750. Never flew one himself, treats me like his nerd slave. I fly them and crash them constantly (lots of trees here, but less so now), but anyway, now he bought a vision. And he needs a cheap tablet or smartphone to control the video. I am fairly tech, but don't own a smartphone or wifi tablet. He rarely even plugs in his land line phone. What is compatible with the dji vision video app that I can buy for him that doesn't involve a contract for phone service?

Are there compatible smartphones without service contracts, WiFi tablets, or anything that gives all the functionality required? I know that WiFi iOS and android systems are compatible, but I need a somewhat cheap, non-contract device that will give him all the functionality (altitude, speed, video settings, location maps, etc.) without the overhead of service contracts. Thanks alot.

Go on ebay and buy an android tablet with at least Android 4.0. you can buy a decent tablet for very little money. iPAd mini is also a good choice but way to pricy for what you need. Personally I would use a phone or a tablet with 3g so you get the most out of the "Find my Vision" function. again, not a deal breaker but something to consider.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Since he already has a Kindle Fire HD with Android OS 4.0.3, and I saw online that at least one person reported success with it, I am first going to sideload the Vision APK on his Kindle and see if most of the functions work and the video isn't too choppy at decent resolution. If not, off to Ebay and look for a cheapie 7" or smaller Android tablet. In either case, will have to double-back tape something onto it small enough for the supplied smartphone clamp to grab.

Sorry to say that he doesn't have a Kindle Fire 4.0.3. I thought he got it last year, but instead found out that he got it two years ago. After loading ES3 file explorer, allowing 3rd party software, thumb driving the com.dji-vision_1.apk to his Kindle, side-loading didn't work on his system (obviously a 2.3+ Android). Got an app error. But it was free to try.

I am off to Ebay or other discount sources for a cheap Android 4+ OS tablet. Will try to advise what cheap crap works when I find it. Grin. Please let me know if anyone finds a cheap alternative.

The nexus 7 tablet is a great choice and what I use in addition to my iPhone. Keep in mind you will need to replace the clip with a universal mount capable of fitting on the ball and socket joint and able to open wide enough to accommodate the device.

Thank you, Ben. I really, really appreciate your response. Nexus 7 is on my shortlist. I am cheap, so waiting for a bargain. I wish that dji would simply post the androids/apples that work, and those that don't. I hate to buy something that doesn't work, just because dji says that ANY android 4+, ANY apple 6+, works. Yeah, any android 4+ doesn't always work, and any apple prior to 6.0 definitely doesn't ever work.

There are crappy androids under 40 bucks that may work, but would dji name them? I think not. Dji thinks that if you can afford 1200 bucks, then you shouldn't be worried about a $1200 smartphone.They may be right, but I am the exception. I am cheap and not proud about it, but that is my lot in life. Take care, my friend, thank you for your honest opinion.

Reactions: KillerKustums
I have tried searching more on this subject but struggling to find more information - either due to the limited search function or the lack of answers.

Is this still the case with compatible tablets? Some work, most don't? Im not an android ownwer, I use my trusty Iphone and it works no problem with my new Vision plus. However my parents have a nice large 10" sumvision (cheapo) android tablet and I would love to have the option of using that occasionally to show other people what the Phantom is seeing.

It basically isn't available on the google app store, I can navigate to the apps page manually but then it says the dreaded 'this app is compatible with this device....".

Just did a quick google and found this: http://www.howtogeek.com/116456/how-to- ... e-play/but it seems like a lot of messing :(

Any help?

BenDronePilot said:
The nexus 7 tablet is a great choice and what I use in addition to my iPhone. Keep in mind you will need to replace the clip with a universal mount capable of fitting on the ball and socket joint and able to open wide enough to accommodate the device.
+1 On Nexus 7 (2013) been very happy with mine, bought it specifically for the Vision.

I've been very happy with the Nexus 7 (2012) that I also bought specifically for the P2V. Now I finally have a hood for it too... :)

-slinger

Meluk said:
I have tried searching more on this subject but struggling to find more information - either due to the limited search function or the lack of answers.

Is this still the case with compatible tablets? Some work, most don't? Im not an android ownwer, I use my trusty Iphone and it works no problem with my new Vision plus. However my parents have a nice large 10" sumvision (cheapo) android tablet and I would love to have the option of using that occasionally to show other people what the Phantom is seeing.

It basically isn't available on the google app store, I can navigate to the apps page manually but then it says the dreaded 'this app is compatible with this device....".

Just did a quick google and found this: http://www.howtogeek.com/116456/how-to- ... e-play/but it seems like a lot of messing :(

Any help?

You can download the app from here. http://droneslinger.com/software.html and just change the security settings on the tablet to allow loading of non play store apps. Once you have downloaded the app you need to find the file on the tablet the easiest way to do this is download an app called ES file explorer this will allow you to locate the file (usually in the downloads file) on the tablet then just click load and away you go.

Reactions: KillerKustums
Madwak said:
Meluk said:

Any help?

You can download the app from here. http://droneslinger.com/software.html and just change the security settings on the tablet to allow loading of non play store apps. Once you have downloaded the app you need to find the file on the tablet the easiest way to do this is download an app called ES file explorer this will allow you to locate the file (usually in the downloads file) on the tablet then just click load and away you go.

Excellent! thanks for this, I will give it a try. Fingers crossed!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94