Compass Issue on Bridge

Anytime I am on concrete of any kind I am always thinking possible issue. I always use my Case Club Case to take off on top of and have not had any issues with metal or Rebar. Just enough of an insulator to get you off the metal. Parking garages are notorious for Rebar in the pavement.
As you have observed you often don't need to place the AC very far from the structure causing the magnetic anomaly. Even on highly reinforced concrete structures a hand launch will usually get the AC high enough for normal compass operation. The MOD value is your friend in these circumstances.

Reactions: Oso
This thread shows that even long time fliers can sometimes overlook very basic but important concepts for safe flying.

Just the thread title was all that many of us needed to read to know what happened. Even though we've heard similar stories too many times to count, it's one of those things worth a frequent reminder for the benefit of any new or inexperienced fliers.

@bkushner the single most effective check you can do to prevent a launch time fly away is determine if the heading shown in the Go App is correct. Before launch look at the red triangle on the map display and then visually check to see that is consistent with the actual AC heading.
triangle.jpg
If it's not right then don't launch.

This is a much better test than checking the compass MOD value. In most launch time fly away incidents the MOD value is only slightly different, if at all.

@bkushner the single most effective check you can do to prevent a launch time fly away is determine if the heading shown in the Go App is correct. Before launch look at the red triangle on the map display and then visually check to see that is consistent with the actual AC heading. View attachment 86485 If it's not right then don't launch.

This is a much better test than checking the compass MOD value. In most launch time fly away incidents the MOD value is only slightly different, if at all.
Thanks for the info!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94