Compass calibration

I went to a grossly overpriced full day class from a national drone school and the "instructor" suggested re calibrating the compass any time you move to a new area, say even just a few miles away but certainly to a new city. Was this guy full of baloney or is this good advice?
Here's what DJI say in their current manuals:
i-Q9CJx8r-M.jpg

Your "instructor" doesn't know what he's talking about.
I haven't re-calibrated any compass in over a year.
I've never calibrated the compass in the P4pro since it arrived last year.
Lots more compass info here: Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Actually, the manual tells you to 'ensure that the compass is calibrated' before each flight, doesn't say to perform a calibration. Semantics that have been cleared up in the latest version of the manual.
RTFM.

Where is "Sensors data page??? " I just don't see it anywhere and since Im over 1,000 miles from home I would like to calibrate my compass...
In the meanwhile, if you have no errors, launch aircraft. If it flies straight you have no issues. Been hundreds of miles from last cal location with no errors/issues.

I flew in Vancouver BC, Canada 4 days ago and flew on Long Island, New York yesterday. No compass calibration needed.

That said....if it makes you happy, go ahead. You won't wear anything out. If you end up with a bad calibration I'm sure your bird will let you know.

Where is "Sensors data page??? " I just don't see it anywhere and since Im over 1,000 miles from home I would like to calibrate my compass...
Why calibrate the compass? Is there an issue that needs fixing?
The manual doesn't make any recommendation that you should whatever distance you are from home?
Here's what the manual recommends:
i-Q9CJx8r-M.jpg

To get to the sensor data, go here:
i-nndQm7S-M.png

Then here:
i-BqF4GxZ-M.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members