Compass calibration with battery change

RPP

Reaction score
Website
www.parrikar.com
Is a compass calibration required with a battery change? Let's say I calibrate it before a flight at a particular location, and after 20 minutes of flying swap the depleted battery with a second fully charged battery (again, at the same location). Do I need to do a compass calibration again? My guess is no, but just want to confirm.

Is a compass calibration required with a battery change? Let's say I calibrate it before a flight at a particular location, and after 20 minutes of flying swap the depleted battery with a second fully charged battery (again, at the same location). Do I need to do a compass calibration again? My guess is no, but just want to confirm.
No, a compass calibration isn't needed when you change batteries.
Your compass doesn't lose its calibration and recalibration isn't needed the next day or the day after etc, etc
P4 compass calibration every time

Reactions: RPP
I've had my P4 for five months. I calibrated the compass once before my first flight. I haven't touched it since. I've had no flight problems at all.

If there are minor problems with the compass the craft will have difficulty flying in a straight line. With more serious problems, the status lights will start blinking green and yellow and you'll get an error message on your screen

Interesting that this prescription - of not calibrating again if flying within 200 miles - runs counter to DJI's own guidelines.

I got several devices with digital compasses: Cellphone, P4, Garmin hiking GPS, and a couple of tablets. Sometimes they are off 90 degrees for some odd reason (e.g. North pointing East) and it takes me several attempts to get them pointed north. Could be my waving them wrong antics or some interference somewhere. Probably could leave them alone once they are calibrated, but last night my iPad came up with some "Compass calibration required" message out of the blue. I think I was on Google Maps, and it took me several tries to get it aligned, but still the iPad's compass circle isn't filled in 100%, maybe only 75% which I don't know why. It points North, or close enough to it.

Mack

DJI's guidelines for calibrating the compass are confusing to say the least...

If you refer to the Phantom 4 User Manual v1.2 (available for download at DJI Phantom 4 – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads )

On page 51 of the user manual it says "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO app or the status indicator prompt you to do so".

On page 52 of the user manual it says "Calibrate the compass before each fight".

I chose the advice given on page 51. I have over 120 flights which means that I've saved doing the 'compass dance' 120 times :)

The farthest away from home I've been is only 30 miles. If I did take off from a point 200 miles away, I'd probably calibrate the compass at that location to be safe.

I fly off from top level of parking garage structure very often. I think it's because of all the metal structural reinforcements, I get a lot of compass interference errors after powering on my P4.
the DJI Go will prompt me to pick up the P4 and recalibrate, then it's good to go airborne.

after changing the battery and re-powering up the unit, similar compass error almost always occurs when flying from parking garages.

When I'm IMU-ing off of any other places, no issues whatsoever.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94