Compass Calibration Required

Reaction score
Hi, I have been flying my P4 for over a year with no issues. It's a great bird, I've been able to fly it in many different locations and conditions without issue.

In any case, I am in Maui, HI and am getting a Compass Calibration Required message when flying from rocky points here. I go through the recalibration and it seems to work fine. It only seems to happen when flying from rocky locations. For example, I got the message flying off of Wainappa and Kapalua, both very volcanic rocky areas. Doesn't seem to pop up when launching off a normal sandy beach (last night I launched off of Kaanapali, which is a flat sandy beach, with no error message).

Any idea if the volcanic rock could be creating compass issues, or is this a sign of the compass beginning to fail. Appreciate any inputs.

Chemically lava is made of the elements silicon, oxygen, aluminum, iron, magnesium, calcium, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, and titanium (plus other elements in very small concentrations. 5% iron!

Dense rock = higher concentrations. Are you launching from ah ah or pahoehoe?

I'm on Maui, not the big island, so I haven't tried those locations. I was up by Nakalele today (West Maui), no error message, but I only was able to fly a short time before having to land due to high wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart