Come on and wiggle with me!

Reaction score
HAHA, Thats from my kid's toy. It sings!

So my new to me, used P3A has a wiggle. I wanted to illustrate this phenomenon now that it's been video'd

Unfortunately the wiggle is difficult to see in these videos but a point to note is that the cellphone camera is being held steady, while the phantom loses altitude and wanders around a good bit. satellites were 12+ at the time of video.

Thoughts? I sent these videos to a DJI support Chatter who replied Wow, not Normal.

Again VERY hard to pick up on in these videos, but when it does the wiggle the gimble assembly itself will shake enough that I will occasionally pick up some jello in my footage during hovers.

Video 2 around 20-25 seconds is the best example i think
Video 1
Video 2

Not normal, if you have 12 satellites and a lack of contributing wind in the area, maybe take it up to about 10-12 mtrs to see if the problem is the same to rule out out any issues with the reinforced concret below. If the drone is still wobbling around at the greater height, a simple cold IMU calibration may be of help.

I’m using set #2 from original box. 1st set we’re doing it, which is why I got the 2nd set out. Can’t see props causing that wondering. MAYBE the shimmy.....

I’m using set #2 from original box. 1st set we’re doing it, which is why I got the 2nd set out. Can’t see props causing that wondering. MAYBE the shimmy.....
Have you been able to rule out similar behaviour when flying higher as I suggested earlier? Unbalanced props can cause your drone to wobble about and also shimmy as you say.

Mine has always done this and the props are balanced perfectly. Doesn't effect the video so not that bothered. Also, I have a large hallway and if I hover it there, zero wiggle. Odd huh?

Take it higher and try it. At that height it's prop wash. The turbulent air created by the downward motion of the air, it's trying to fly in a wind which it is creating.

Reactions: Pharm
My phantom 4 would hover great at that height. and the 2nd video was higher and it wandered worse! I have a coworker who's repairing his P3A. Once he gets his up we'll do a comparo! Also DJI support looking into it . They said it's not right and they should be getting back to me today or tomorrow.

It might be the VPS having a tough time with the pattern on the ground under the aircraft or the VPS is defective. Try it over different materials (not glass, water, anything highly reflective, or repeating patterns like tile etc) and get it up to say 20' and see what the difference is.

You could also try turning VPS off completely and see if there is a difference one way or the other.

Reactions: Numone and Erised
It might be the VPS having a tough time with the pattern on the ground under the aircraft or the VPS is defective. Try it over different materials (not glass, water, anything highly reflective, or repeating patterns like tile etc) and get it up to say 20' and see what the difference is.

You could also try turning VPS off completely and see if there is a difference one way or the other.
Yep, do as BigA said as the surface you are over is mono color, if it does it at a higher altitude you may also want to calibrate your RC.

Reactions: BigAl07
Take it higher and try it. At that height it's prop wash. The turbulent air created by the downward motion of the air, it's trying to fly in a wind which it is creating.
Sorry to disagree, but if this was the case, it'd do it inside as well as out, which it doesn't (well, not in my case anyway).

It's official DJI said send it back for repair. What to do what to do ?

To be clear, the chat support individual had me send more detailed info after she watched the videos i sent. She indicated that this was all forwarded to the developers for review and they made the call seen below.

DJI NA Aftersales Chat (Support)

30 Nov, 08:16 CST

Dear Justin,

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

We have received a report regarding the issue you are experiencing with your unit and we are sorry to hear about it. Upon reviewing the video and the problem description, we highly advise that you send the unit to our facility for diagnosis.

I'm with Numone ...

My P3P does not sit perfectly still in hover. The concrete OP is flying over is not easy for VPS to use. GPS is not mm accurate ... all in all ... AC will wander a bit ... mine does anyway and seems Numone similar.

Risking **** and Damnation : I have tried in the past putting Controller down and leaving AC to hover ... done it with P3S and P3P .... neither stayed in the hover long enough for me to ignore ... they both wandered and went up / down maintaining position within a 'bubble' of about 3+ft diameter.

Nigel

Reactions: Numone
You appear to be flying in a built up area in video 2.
Does it do the same out in the countryside?
I was wondering about electronic interference!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94