Color Balance Landing Pad

Reaction score
I read some forum where someone made an oversize ColorChecker print and could use it for a landing pad. Seemed easy enough with my large format printer. Used some washable foam-core for chalk and a lot of print spray on the top and bottom for moisture protection and the landing gear.

Just flip C1 switch to point the camera down while landing and use the ColorChecker within Black Magic's Resolve 12.5 or 14 free version software to set the colors up from the screen grab in the video.

Attachments

• Landing-Pad.jpg
    Landing-Pad.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 460
Reactions: Mix_
Awesome idea! Where did you get the colour checker file from? Are you able to share it?

Sorry but I cannot share the file as it turned out to be about 179MB in size for my large printer in both the PSD and TIFF both. I have a very slow AT&T DSL that would take an hour or more to upload. I cannot do Cloud stuff either (Crashes out in time and resumes - ugh!) or much over 15KB in size due to rural location and too far from their amplifier or switch or so says their service guy.

Anyway it is made from the Color Checker data found in Wikipedia and I made it with Photoshop in about 30 minutes once I got the hang of doing it. The guy explains it in a Printer Forum here: DIY Colorchecker Chart.

Mine turned out to be about 19 by 26 inches in size and I can hit that pretty easy with the P4. A sign shop nearby might be able to make it in vinyl that could be rolled up which might be nicer for carrying around over the board. I might pay them a visit next week and ask.

Reactions: PacketRacket
Thanks mate!

No problem. Glad it might help.

Fwiw, I put it through Davinci Resolve 14 Beta (freeware) this AM and it was really spot on to do the exposure and the color in the Pattern and Vectorscope. No more guessing.

Screen captures of the Pattern (Exposure pattern off the black, gray, white squares), Vectorscope of where the RGB and CYM colors land exactly on their spots with the primary and secondary colors selected, and the overall Histogram.

Click to enlarge.

Parade.jpg Vectorscope.jpg Histogram.jpg

Last edited:
Super idea. I Carry a color checker from x-rite for my DSLR.

I hope your printer and monitor and PS are all in sync color wise. Colors can dramatically shift on printout.

Thanks for the great idea.

Personally, I prefer terra firma as my color palette as there is no need to carry a landing pad, box or platform to fly off of.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Personally, I prefer terra firma as my color palette as there is no need to carry a landing pad, box or platform to fly off of.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think you're missing the point. It's not really about needing a landing pad it about have one cleverly disguised as a color checker. I dunno, using a color checker for my DSLR help raw pictures balance for that shoot in one click. I think the OP is doing the same since he's color correcting his footage. The fact that it's a landing pad just is a bonus. I think it's brilliant!

Reactions: SurfnSkate81
I think you're missing the point. It's not really about needing a landing pad it about have one cleverly disguised as a color checker. I dunno, using a color checker for my DSLR help raw pictures balance for that shoot in one click. I think the OP is doing the same since he's color correcting his footage. The fact that it's a landing pad just is a bonus. I think it's brilliant!

Doesn't matter if you use a color chart when shooting photos as you still have to color correct in post and chart gives you a good grayscale to work with. Personally, I use color finesse in after effects for corrections in either video or photos. No, I didn't miss the point at all.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen