Class B Airspace - Notifying Tower

This is an old thread.

A recreational UAS pilot doesn't need to worry about Class A, B, C, D, etc. He must fly within the rules of CFR Part 101 which means he must "notify" any and all airports if he flies within five miles of those airports.

He also must not endanger the NAS, which means he must not be stupid (i.e. he must not fly in front of a runway, etc.).

I believe, that class B is an exception. Even hobby fliers aren't supposed to fly within the controlled Class B space without authorization. That being said, still need to check out the sectional to see just which portions or the airspace you might be flying in or under.

If we call the airport and notify them that we're flying, then we've done our part.

I'm not saying we can or should or would fly in Class B airspace. I'm saying we, as hobby drone pilots who are flying under Part 101, are not saddled with the responsibility of learning about Class B airspace or worrying about flying in it.

So as recreational drone pilots, we contact the airport, per Part 101, as we are required to do. They say no we cannot fly. What do we do?

We don't fly, of course.

But the fact is, per the rules/laws as they stand now, the airport cannot stop us from flying. And that's by the FAA's own words.

See this FAQ, point 7 under Flying for Fun (recreational or hobby):

7. Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?

Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. ...

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help

So I'd say we are both correct. No we cannot fly in Class B, but also no we don't have to learn or worry about not flying in Class B. If we follow Part 101, we wouldn't fly in Class B because doing so would be contrary to airport advice and would then endanger NAS which is a violation of Part 101.

Thanks for the link!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl