Chinese authorities test drone-aircraft collision

I'm glad someone is actually doing this kind of testing.
It helps re-inforce to the uninformed UAV pilot why we should NOT fly near airports without advance clearance.
It helps reduce the public hysteria fearing catastrophic damage to the manned aircraft.
the video did not show the speed of the plane nor the drone. If the plane is moving at 500 mph, the result will be very different.

Reactions: Nesher
the video did not show the speed of the plane nor the drone. If the plane is moving at 500 mph, the result will be very different.

My friend, it is China ! It is what we kindly call the kingdom of "chabuduo" which can be translated to: "more or less" but with a hint of whatever, who knows & who cares...
I live in China and fly here. I started flying my P3 2 years ago and it was fun like hell. Annoying were all these people gathered around watching my tablet, asking hundreds of questions. And then came the Mavic with its issues. Bench of stupid people doing crazy things like flying near airports. Add to that, lots of TV segments speaking about these rare behaviors (2 to 3 cases maximum) and also segments about drone usage in Syria. 1 year of non-stop bashing made it clear: Nowadays, to all Chinese citizens, you're a terrible dangerous outlaw if you are flying a drone. Sad, but brainwashing is very efficient here !

Today, in China, the clearance around any airport is just CRAZY !! 20 kms wide and 40 kms long. It does really make flying in cities almost impossible. All Beijing is a non Flying Zone. Almost all Shanghai... I am in Guangzhou where there is only one airport quite far from downtown so I am lucky. So things are getting harder and harder.

For the experiment, I don't expect it to be thorough. It might be just a showcase. But the results are interesting: showing that there might be no danger to hit the windshield of a plane. Now, it would be interesting to do the same experiment with the engine.

I also think that adding a transponder unit to all drone might be a good solution: for instance, instead of relying on GPS cordinates, the drone might emit a universal Drone squawk code and when receiving a signal from ATC, the drone will be prevented from entering the area... At least, we would clearly know if there wa a drone in the area. Because, other than the official documented cases, I suspect many to be false alarms. Like the one in UK which turned out to be NOT a drone...

First, most commercial aircraft these days can T/O and Land with one engine disabled. Those that can't are really old and flying bush routes.

I agree with Why that drones should have Xponders, maybe even ADS-B out. That would certainly kill the casual drone market and eliminate many of the stupid mistakes made by the users of $100 whizzers just playing around. I am in the USA, but being able to communicate with ATC does seem to be an important part of being able to operate near airports or TFR's.

First, most commercial aircraft these days can T/O and Land with one engine disabled. Those that can't are really old and flying bush routes.

I'm not sure where you are going with that observation. Most commercial aircraft will survive collision with a drone without crashing - they will just have to make an emergency landing. So that's okay then, and the minority that might not survive- we don't worry about those?

All this about bad drone pilots..I was in green area no airport no worries right..I was at 190 ft altitude when a plane comes out of nowhere almost hits my drone..He was do low I didn't even here him coming..So close it blew my drone almost causing it to crash..I called nearest airport and reported him..Only information was it was yellow..This is not the only time I encountered low aircraft...The military helicopters fly under 400 ft all the time..No..tfr....in place..

Easy to calculate. What is the typical rpm of a prop for that drone (P4?) when hovering?

Easy to calculate. What is the typical rpm of a prop for that drone (P4?) when hovering?

Could you elaborate? What does the speed of the Phantom props have to do with the impact speed between the aircraft?

Or - do you just mean as a time reference to calculate speed?

Or - do you just mean as a time reference to calculate speed?

Yes. Knowing the amount of time that a complete revolution of the prop takes and the width of the drone used to measure movement of the plane one can calculate the speed of the plane.

Say the normal hovering rpm is 6,000 rpm ( 0.01 sec per rev.) and the width of the drone is 1ft. If we see the plane moves 1 drone width every prop rev. then the plane is moving at 100 fps or 68 mph or 59 KN.

Yes. Knowing the amount of time that a complete revolution of the prop takes and the width of the drone used to measure movement of the plane one can calculate the speed of the plane.

Say the normal hovering rpm is 6,000 rpm ( 0.01 sec per rev.) and the width of the drone is 1ft. If we see the plane moves 1 drone width every prop rev. then the plane is moving at 100 fps or 68 mph or 59 KN.
I love a good old math calculation.

I love a good old math calculation.

Yes :) If Train A from Big City 1 and Train B from small town 2 set out at ...

So can someone look at their log file (you'll have to upload it to one of the translation sites) and tell me rpm of a P4 hovering? I'm pretty sure it's in there.

The RPM will not be of much use. The drones were tethered.

China Conducts Drone-aircraft Collision Tests

'China's CAAC recently conducted aircraft-drone collision tests between the forward section—principally the windshield and radome—of an airliner and a tethered light DJI drone.'

Reactions: sar104
The RPM will not be of much use. The drones were tethered.

China Conducts Drone-aircraft Collision Tests

'China's CAAC recently conducted aircraft-drone collision tests between the forward section—principally the windshield and radome—of an airliner and a tethered light DJI drone.'

Although that probably means the props were simply idling - so that value should work instead.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT