cheap 5.8 ghz antenna mods review

Reaction score
allright - a cheap *** 2.4 and 5.8 ghz antenna review. because im cheap. and I bought el cheapo antennas. I will try them and report back my results.

I got a good solid 10db out of the hawking 2.4 ghz corner antenna. I forgot to test the tp link 2.4 ghz, but it is rated at like 8db on paper. the hawking was rated at like 14-15db. the hawking was $29 bucks at frys, and the tplink was under 10 bucks. my goal was to never lose video. it pisses me off when I lose video. I don't even want choppy stuttering video. so far so good. I haven't flown past about 1kft out yet, 400' alt or less.
20150627_205736[1].jpg

the next mod, and purpose of this post mostly, are these cheapo 5.8 antennas I just got. these are the commonly listed ones. and good and cheap.
20150726_111024.jpg

I plan on flying with these on the controller one at a time in a real field test
20150721_194136.jpg

so far, here are the early, preflight observations on the cheap *** 5.8 ghz antennas:

1.) the paddle antennas wont turn the correct direction, I need a 90* elbow or some other connector to provide a swivel.
2.) the patch antenna will not stay vertical, it flops side to side. it is fully tightened on the sma, its just a cheap *** antenna. current plan is to wrap a rubber band around it to hold it upright.
3.) the shroom antenna - the cover popped off. I was sad, but it revealed the construction of the actual antenna element. ill get a pic of that up next.

i got some 90* rp-sma adaptos and now can test the paddle antenna. 1st tests show the mushroom sucked as a TX and the patch has been best so far, but I haven't tried the paddle yet...

Hi I Know It's A Little Late But I Was Reading Your Thread And if u might know can I use a fat shark 5.8 fpv antenna for my 5.8 transmitter on my p2v. Thanks man

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT