Charging multiple batteries

Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of these multiple charging boards? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 193979691I see a number of international sellers on ebay.

Safe to use or will this fark my batteries?

I've seen other multi charger that say the all the batteries should have a similar battery level when charging them together. Would that apply to this too?

If using this is a bad idea, are there any recommendations for other means of charging multiple batteries?

sku_104649_2.jpg

Duplicate question, already discussed.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Your welcome

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Would appreciate it if someone more helpful can respond. Searched and didn't find an answer. Besides that, can't quite search the forums for an ebay image.

TIA

Sorry about him. There is a word for someone who goes into a thread not to be helpful, but to do literally the opposite. He is known for this.

Although this has been discussed already, this is the first time I've seen it. I don't know enough about electricity to know if power can safely/effectively be distributed. I feel like lipos are particular about such things. Moreover, having exposed, hot contacts worries me as well.

uscpsycho said:
Would appreciate it if someone more helpful can respond. Searched and didn't find an answer. Besides that, can't quite search the forums for an ebay image.

TIA

adanac said:
Sorry about him. There is a word for someone who goes into a thread not to be helpful, but to literally do the opposite. He is known for this.

Although this has been discussed already, this is the first time I've seen it. I don't know enough about electricity to know if power can safely/effectively be distributed. I feel like lipos are particular about such things. Moreover, having exposed, hot contacts worries me as well.

uscpsycho said:

TIA
Yeah, the threads I've seen about charging multiple batteries sometimes require an engineering degree to follow -- as well as som pricey gear. Makes me feel like this solution is a little too simplistic. I'll take a look at the thread Mr Wonderful posted and see if that is on topic with respect to this contraption.

Thank you.

Yep, that thread discusses this contraption. But it quickly unfolded into some very technical talk that left me scratching my head. Apparently some people are happily using it but after all the technical talk I can't tell if it's a bad idea to use this thing at all or if it's just a bad idea to use it with the DJI power supply.

Every time the subject of batteries comes up it seems to devolve into some very technical discussion that requires a very technical understanding of electronics to follow. I was lost after reading the thread but posted my questions there.

I ended up buying another standard charger.

uscpsycho said:
Yep, that thread discusses this contraption. But it quickly unfolded into some very technical talk that left me scratching my head. Apparently some people are happily using it but after all the technical talk I can't tell if it's a bad idea to use this thing at all or if it's just a bad idea to use it with the DJI power supply.

Every time the subject of batteries comes up it seems to devolve into some very technical discussion that requires a very technical understanding of electronics to follow. I was lost after reading the thread but posted my questions there.

adanac said:
Sorry about him. There is a word for someone who goes into a thread not to be helpful, but to do literally the opposite. He is known for this.

uscpsycho said:

TIA
Come on @adanac, I'm not that unhelpful that i need a label lol. A day or so before there was a detailed thread. I was trying to encourage folk to check recent posts and search rather than waste everyone's time reposting for similar info. If he had used the standard forum search and looked for 'charging bar' it is right there. Actually I resent your implication. I only post here to be helpful with my limited experience and that is my reputation I trust.

And yes that post it did dive into techy stuff that was beyond me too, however that WAS the place to post further enquires, not starting a duplicate one. I rest my case.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

adanac said:

Because other methods like using this contraptions aren't as good? Or did you give up trying to figure it out?

Honestly, I didn't know another method was available. Even now that I do, I would make sure a multi-method was proven. In some critical and, unfortunately, dangerous ways, lipos are unlike the batteries we use in our phones and cameras.

I'm not even reading posts that aren't about helping the OP.

uscpsycho said:
adanac said:

Because other methods like using this contraptions aren't as good? Or did you give up trying to figure it out?

uscpsycho said:
Has anyone tried one of these multiple charging boards? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 193979691I see a number of international sellers on ebay.

Safe to use or will this fark my batteries?

I've seen other multi charger that say the all the batteries should have a similar battery level when charging them together. Would that apply to this too?

If using this is a bad idea, are there any recommendations for other means of charging multiple batteries?

sku_104649_2.jpg

This is merely a power distribution strip. You will not harm your batteries using this strip. The proprietary batteries are unique because the peak detection is built into the battery, which is why you also do not have a traditional balance plug found on a traditional lipo battery. The charger that comes with your Phantom is similar to that of a laptop power source. It is limited in producing no more than 4 amps, which is very conservative. So if you're charging 3 batteries, the 4 amps is being spread amongst the 3 batteries, which is why it'll take longer than if you had just one battery attached. A traditional 3S lipo battery can easily take double that.

The strip can be used a number of ways. You can attach 3 batteries and set it and forget it. I'll use this method if I'm flying in the morning (which I just did). For a quick charge, I'll use the strip with my lipo charger and charge at 6 amps per pack (which I'm currently doing for more afternoon flying). I've tried to charge higher, but the voltage protection on my charger won't allow it go to more than 6 amps per pack.

...That's about as a filtered down layperson's response you can get.

Diesel31 said:
This is merely a power distribution strip. You will not harm your batteries using this strip. The proprietary batteries are unique because the peak detection is built into the battery, which is why you also do not have a traditional balance plug found on a traditional lipo battery. The charger that comes with your Phantom is similar to that of a laptop power source. It is limited in producing no more than 4 amps, which is very conservative. So if you're charging 3 batteries, the 4 amps is being spread amongst the 3 batteries, which is why it'll take longer than if you had just one battery attached. A traditional 3S lipo battery can easily take double that.

The strip can be used a number of ways. You can attach 3 batteries and set it and forget it. I'll use this method if I'm flying in the morning (which I just did). For a quick charge, I'll use the strip with my lipo charger and charge at 6 amps per pack (which I'm currently doing for more afternoon flying). I've tried to charge higher, but the voltage protection on my charger won't allow it go to more than 6 amps per pack.

Thanks!

Long story short this thing is just fine to use with the DJI power strip and Phantom 2 batteries, it will just take longer to charge if you are charging more than one battery. If you want faster charging get a strip that supplies up to 6 amps. Correct?

One more question though, a lot of other threads I've read said that when charging multiple batteries they should all be at a similar level of discharge. Does that apply to this distribution strip too or is it OK if the batteries are at different levels?

uscpsycho said:
Diesel31 said:

Thanks!

Long story short this thing is just fine to use with the DJI power strip and Phantom 2 batteries, it will just take longer to charge if you are charging more than one battery. If you want faster charging get a strip that supplies up to 6 amps. Correct?
Sort of correct. You'll want a charger (not a strip) that can provide more than 4 amps if you want to charge at a higher amperage. Higher amps = quicker charge, think of it like a faucet. Less amps would be like a drip, more amps would be a gush.
One more question though, a lot of other threads I've read said that when charging multiple batteries they should all be at a similar level of discharge. Does that apply to this distribution strip too or is it OK if the batteries are at different levels?I make it a point to have the batteries around the same discharge level, ie. 30-40 percent. I think it's a good practice, but may not be necessary since the voltage protection and regulation is built into each battery.

Thanks. I meant to say charger, not power strip :|

As I understand you have to power the batteries up while charging them with this distribution strip. Will the power level indicators all go dark when the battery is fully charged or do they stay solid green?

One of the eBay sellers says you shouldn't user a charger over 6 amps with this distribution strip if you are only charging one battery. Any idea what the highest amperage you should use for charging two batteries? Three batteries?

uscpsycho said:

As I understand you have to power the batteries up while charging them with this distribution strip. Will the power level indicators all go dark when the battery is fully charged or do they stay solid green?

One of the eBay sellers says you shouldn't user a charger over 6 amps with this distribution strip if you are only charging one battery. Any idea what the highest amperage you should use for charging two batteries? Three batteries?

Just attach your stock P2 charger to the end and it'll charge up to 3 batteries no problem. I have one and use it all the time.

EMCSQUAR said:
uscpsycho said:

Just attach your stock P2 charger to the end and it'll charge up to 3 batteries no problem. I have one and use it all the time.

Yes you can use the stock charger to connect 3 batteries using this strip. But you need to spend 3 times the normal charging time. If you want to charge multiple batteries faster, you need to increase the amp. I can only charge up to 5.5 amp per battery (i.e. 16.5 amp for 3 batteries). Anything higher than this the smart battery will shut down itself.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl