Changing props on a FC40

Reaction score
I hear that you can change the standard props to P2 props on the Phantom FC40 ...what are the benefits ? Thanks

Longer flight times and better lift..

Beware descending rapidly with them though - they create turbulence which can unsettle the aircraft and cause loss of control.

i m curious if anyone has tried carbon props sees any difference between stock 8 inch plastic props and carbon props in terms of performance and flight time?

larryleibo said:
i m curious if anyone has tried carbon props sees any difference between stock 8 inch plastic props and carbon props in terms of performance and flight time?

Yes, many many posters on here and other forums have tried carbon props and almost unanimously have rejected them.
The only props that have been shown to reliably show an advantage over stock FC40 props are the 9443 or the 9450 DJI props, and a 'few' select third party knock offs of those props.

Got to upgrading my props the the Phantom 2 ones...and yes they work great. And yes, do not try to descend to quickly as said earlier...it will not recover well like with the smaller props.

thats what the 9450 are for, no more VRS with them , I tried to get it to get into VRS but couldnt, with a 1400g flying pig. lol. I have tried every prop, T MOTOR you name it, these are the best so far, try them you willl love um :p

i tried the 9443 props, because they were out of 9450. They flew badly ground to ground. I didnt like them, very unstable. and i tried them once and put them in my trunk iof my bike and tool them back tothe store and was going to ask for a trade back to the 8 inch. the 8 inch are half the price of the 9 inch 9443. Just the props being in the truck bent the tips badly, i realised how flimsy they are. I was not impressed. I took off my prop guards and tried 2200 single, double 2800 single and double and 4000 single and in every case the 8 inch flew better than the carbon or the 9 inch. i spoke to dji and then told me not to buy the 9 inch,. many more crashes they said.

forewarned is forskinned

i did get a set of 9443 props and ran them on my fc40
1. the unit ran badly unstable and seemed like it was going to fall out of the sky
2. i only used them once for 5 minutes and was going to trade them in for a stock backup pair, and when i bought them to the store, we noticed the the props were so thin and flimsy compared to the 8 inch phantom plastic props, that the tips of the props bent up just from the props being stored in the case as they touched the side of the case.

I went back to the 8 inch props and back to good flights. I also took of my prop guards and the flights and length of flight was even better. now i am playing with bigger batteries 2800 single and twin and 4000 miltistar and i am getting incredible extended times without prop guards and with the 8 inch stock props

i found a set of 9443 props and ran with them once without prop guards. and was very disappointed with them, very unstable and prone to crashing. i even called dji and they told me not t use 9 inch props. These props are so flimsy compared with the stock 8 inch props that i went to trade them for a st of 8 inch after using them once with no crash and the tips were bent up, almost like u fold a piece of paper. no impressed, i then flew with the 8 inch props and it flew so well. I have taken off my prop guards and just have the fc40 cam on and it flies better than ever. now im playing with twin 2200, twin ans single zippy 2800 and multistar 4000 and the flight times and performance is outstanding.

From my experience you get little longer flight time and the sound is not that loud for i see no difference in flying and i haver no problem with descending but i think I have the 9450 version. I always try to move the phantom forward and backward when I descend and of course not descend to quickly. There is a cool thing about them fly in low altitude and turn on atti or manual mode and fly fast forward or backward and it sounds like a propeller-driven aircraft. But try on your own risk flying fast require some skill especially in Manual mode(I strongly advise you not to try that). If you ever flying a Hubsan or similar quad then you know manual mode will basically make your Phantom a bigger version of the Hubsan.

I am not sure what to say reading these posts as I have not had these experiences. I have tried both the nylon and carbon fiber 9 inch props. I am not sure if the extra weight on my quad and more lift provided by the props balances things out somehow. I try to keep the extra weight towards the middle of the quad to keep things balanced. I also will NEVER put batteries outside of the quad on the sides. I am not a fan of those exterior battery mounts. Everyone flies differently and has different experiences, but I cannot say the larger props have been a bad experience, but then again I do not fly the quad like a stuntman either. I will keep trying out different configurations, but so far so good.

I fly mine like a madman with 9450 props @ 1400g love it like this, get the 9450 props, I've tried them all, you name um, these have been the best, I only fly over water and trust these props . VRS over water is no good for you pants lol

I put new 9450 props & guards on my bird today. Seems to fly just fine. Goes straight up pretty fast. Comes down real nice without issues at a high rate of descent at 15 to 20 mph airspeed. Giant circles are way cool... :cool:

Haven't done any definitive testing but probably will soon.

UPDATE:
11/10/2014
I was mistaken about which props I put on my bird. They were 9443's, not 9450's.

I have no idea what Larry is going on about. :roll:
The 9443's are a significant upgrade, and are quite stable, and are not flimsy.
Mine are DJI.

I have a feeling that peeps with bad results from 9 in props...especially the 9450 ones...are using the knock offs. I got some "oem 9450 blades" from amazon and they were fakes and flew horrible. Got the real thing and is awesome!

Yes I think you are right the knock offs always have to be balanced

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl