Challenges encountered starting aerial photography business

Reaction score
Just title mentions to those who started aerial photography business what obstacles have you encountered in the first months. Perhaps getting clients, perhaps went with the standard and needed the 4k, perhaps FAA regulations, perhaps getting permission from owner to fly over their houses, etc.

Since I like to fly in SE Asia, I'd say my biggest obstacle is the Pacific Ocean. And fences. I hit a chain link fence with my P1 here in the US while practicing early on. And a bamboo fence in Laos with my P2V+ last year. Yeah, pretty much the ocean and fences.

Reactions: dirkclod
Since I like to fly in SE Asia, I'd say my biggest obstacle is the Pacific Ocean. And fences. I hit a chain link fence with my P1 here in the US while practicing early on. And a bamboo fence in Laos with my P2V+ last year. Yeah, pretty much the ocean and fences.
facepalm.jpg

I'm in Australia and it's regulated so I'm now going thru the process of submitting my Operating Certificate to CASA, the equivalent to the FAA. Just FYI but I'm a Yank in OZ. I can pretty much fly anywhere outside of the 3kms Aerodrome exclusion zone and 300m from helipads. Once I get my operating certificate in about 6 months I'll be fully licensed to conduct a UAV business.

I want to start out in the real estate/development field and branch out into commercial/industrial inspections and I just got certified in fixed wing operations yesterday and I'll be putting together an AERO-M mapping platform and really get stuck into the mapping/surveying and agricultural/mining business. I hope things start to pick up here, there are less than 200 operating companies here in AUS and I'll be one of them soon!

Reactions: tavorh
Don't be in a hurry waiting for your 333 response.
Phantom 3 Pro has been fine for my real estate photography, but wouldn't want less.
Buy 2 quads, at minimum. It will ruin your whole program when one crashes, flies away, etc...
Buy hull insurance for your quads.
Shop around heavily for your liability insurance. The options are limited but widely varying in price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen