Caught in a snow squall !!

Reaction score
When I took off, conditions were clear, but about 5 minutes later, and 1000 feet away, things quickly changed for the worse.
The wind quickly began to gust to over 30 mph, and a snow squall appeared out of nowhere.
It's hard to see, but the snow was falling sideways ! Luckily the wind was blowing towards me, and I was able to get back home, but the bird was all over the place

Good job getting it in Ken .I was on my longest run and about at the end of it and started seeing rain drops on my tablet screen . Let it RTH but was 3 miles out :)
Got caught in just a drizzle the whole way back ..
Get's your heart pumping huh ;) lol

Good job getting it in Ken .I was on my longest run and about at the end of it and started seeing rain drops on my tablet screen . Let it RTH but was 3 miles out :)
Get's your heart pumping huh ;) lol[/QUOTE

The snow was a lot more dense than it looks in the video, I could not see the phantom until it was back within 50 feet.
I had to fly back using only the mapview, as all that was visible on the live view was the snowy landscape.
I could not discern an visual cues of the phantoms location relative to me.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: dirkclod
Good deal on getting back safely.

I got in similar the other day. Like you said, it was on quickly and out of nowhere.

I didn't see any sideways snow until the wind let up and I became vertical again with my feet back on the ground.

That's crazy. Not sure I would take it out in snowy condition. But I guess it still works. Wish it was water proof.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's crazy. Not sure I would take it out in snowy condition. But I guess it still works. Wish it was water proof.

I wouldn't go out in snow either, it was actually sunny, before, during, and after the squall blew through.

Get's your heart pumping huh ;) lol
3 miles out? With a standard or pro?

3 miles out? With a standard or pro?

Standard joint but I do have the itelite and birdside FPVLR dipoles on it .
Don't use amps but have seen some that do and they get lots farther .
3.04 miles.PNG Straight out and let it RTH

That's good joint..you have to learn to trust your RTH going for distance .
My best stock was 6,660' but I had to hold my mouth right .Stance is everything ;)

Reactions: jointeffort
That's good joint..you have to learn to trust your RTH going for distance .
My best stock was 6,660' but I had to hold my mouth right .Stance is everything ;)
That's true and funny you say that. My grandfather told me growing up, that if I didn't catch any fish when I went fishing, that I wasn't holding my mouth right. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
That's true and funny you say that. My grandfather told me growing up, that if I didn't catch any fish when I went fishing, that I wasn't holding my mouth right. ;)

Smart man :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl