Casey Neistat under FAA Investigation

C

Crack The Sky

Several websites, including DJI Forum, are reporting today, that the internet poster child for idiocy & utter contempt,(or ignorance), of anything FAA, is under investigation for numerous alleged violations. One is reporting possible $250,000 in fines and jail time are on the table. I have not been able to confirm that. It is no secret that this internet goofball has posted his exploits on YouTube and other venues for sometime. He joins other high profile alleged drone offenders also under investigation. I wonder how many low profile alleged offenders are going to be climbing on this clown bus.
One of a growing number of sites, commenting on this development:
Casey Neistat is under FAA investigation for NYC drone flying

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that yesterday as well. Something is not right about this. Casey's onair exploits are quite bombastic at times, but Casey is also quite smart, calculating, and knows what he is doing every second of the day. To just blurt out "ya annnddd im under FAA investigation...so...lets take this somewhere else..." leads me to believe hes saying it for a purpose.

1. remember, as celebrities say "any publicity is good publicity" so if he has to pay a 250K fine, but adds an additional million subscribers as this news churns around the internet and people want to go see the celebrity under FAA investigation, Casey still makes out ahead. (more likely)

2. He made a deal to promote safe drone flying in a deal with the FAA. (less likely)

c4a753011b4ba461f2bbc8d551d8df7f.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ShadowCrabb
I decided to deplete a few brain cells and watch one of his videos - a complete and utter fool. Had 7 broken P4s in his shop! I wonder if he was in San Diego last week!

I saw that yesterday as well. Something is not right about this. Casey's onair exploits are quite bombastic at times, but Casey is also quite smart, calculating, and knows what he is doing every second of the day. To just blurt out "ya annnddd im under FAA investigation...so...lets take this somewhere else..." leads me to believe hes saying it for a purpose.

1. remember, as celebrities say "any publicity is good publicity" so if he has to pay a 250K fine, but adds an additional million subscribers as this news churns around the internet and people want to go see the celebrity under FAA investigation, Casey still makes out ahead. (more likely)

2. He made a deal to promote safe drone flying in a deal with the FAA. (less likely)

While you make good points I doubt Neistat, despite his celebrity status has the ability to write a 250K check without some butt pain.

While you make good points I doubt Neistat, despite his celebrity status has the ability to write a 250K check without some butt pain.

he started a social media company, and sold it to CNN for 25 million. He also made 4 million off an HBO series, and he has 7 MILLION followers, he probably makes a 500K off EACH video he posts ever few days on youtube... not to mention the many many endorsement deals he has, plus being the spokesman for Samsung. 250k is not going to hurt him

Roger that. I also doubt he, "knows what he is doing every second of the day". He's an internet era goofball, with a couple of hundred thousand goofball followers

more like 7.2 MILLION. hate him all you want, and i find him utterly annoying as hell, he knows what he is doing.

he started a social media company, and sold it to CNN for 25 million. He also made 4 million off an HBO series, and he has 7 MILLION followers, he probably makes a 500K off EACH video he posts ever few days on youtube... not to mention the many many endorsement deals he has, plus being the spokesman for Samsung. 250k is not going to hurt him
So 1/2 of his moronic videos will be for free.

Reactions: DroneWorx
You are making the mistake of being wowed by wealth, and thinking that it is somehow linked to the quality of a persons character. He's a goofball, and a hustler. If he had not stumbled into whatever it is he does, he would be hustling defective used cars for a living.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are making the mistake of being wowed by wealth, and thinking that it is somehow linked to the quality of a persons character. He's a goofball, and a hustler. If he had not stumbled into whatever it is he does, he would be hustling defective used cars for a living.

I'm a 42 year old man, I'm not "wowed" by anyone. And I'm not linking money to his character at all. As I said I think he's a moron. But, also having an MBA, I understand his business model, and I can assure you he didn't stumble into anything, he is successful at what he does the same as your successful at what you do, and I'm successful at what I do. the only difference is his success is more kardashian style than say, Walt Disney style, but he provides something that interests a lot of people, if he didn't he wouldn't be successful, and that success does make him wealthy, like him or not.

Reactions: Nate-xt
I'm a 42 year old man, I'm not "wowed" by anyone. And I'm not linking money to his character at all. As I said I think he's a moron. But, also having an MBA, I understand his business model, and I can assure you he didn't stumble into anything, he is successful at what he does the same as your successful at what you do, and I'm successful at what I do. the only difference is his success is more kardashian style than say, Walt Disney style, but he provides something that interests a lot of people, if he didn't he wouldn't be successful, and that success does make him wealthy, like him or not.
I have no idea what you do, but the difference between my success and that hustler goofballs success is that his is entirely without merit, or redeeming value. The fact that his moronic antics, and the Kardashians, (who?) "interest a lot of people", is proof this country has lost it's moral compass.

Man, I don't think you guys realize the kinda content he pumps out. The shots he gets are nothing any of us would ever try to get, but that why he has 7 million subs

Man, I don't think you guys realize the kinda content he pumps out. The shots he gets are nothing any of us would ever try to get, but that why he has 7 million subs
I started this thread, first to show the dangers of flying that is either ignorant of the laws or intentionally defiant of them, and then to call attention to the audacity of posting those exploits. Careless and reckless operations are not acceptable.
I am not a moderator, but this thread has degenerated to arguing the merits of Mr. Neistat's work. I believe we have unintentionally hijacked this thread, and as such there will be no more off topic posts from me.

Reactions: BigAl07
I live in Brooklyn, NY. I once came across Casey operating his mavic in a park near the river. This was before I became a P4P owner and my awareness about the rules were nonexistent. Had I known at the time, I probably would've approached him.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Wow - he really cooled his jets. A video about the Spark, says he's under investigation and can't fly in the city.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not likely

Not really. You must fly in your garage. It's not where he flies, it's that he dared to fly in those locations. 7 Million sheep...

Most of what has been said here about his FAA situation is pure speculation at best and pretty 100% unconfirmed. If anyone had something to say, they are most likely saying it because putting Neistat's name on their information guarantees more views.

If you think his content is crap, don't watch it. That does not make him an idiot. Try this... get up at 4am most days to run 5-7 miles. Film all day long while do your job. Get home around 7pm. Edit video until midnight or so and upload it. Wake up at 4am and do it all over again.... for a couple of years. Do such a good job that you gain 7 million viewers within that few years. When you have done this, feel free to come back here and criticize his work. Actually, forget the two years... do it for just a month and then feel free to judge him.

You think you can do better? Feel free to post a link to a video you created that you think is good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan