Can You Check My Video Qaulity

Reaction score
So I went out again with the Pro+ I'm slightly concerned with the video quality although it may be entirely my fault.

I shot some video with the Polar Pro ND filters. Each one of those movies was out of focus, I noticed the filter was loose as well after each flight. That may have just been a coincidence.

The video I linked below was taken with no filter. I think I shot the entire thing in apeture mode at F2.8. Question. Are the stills camera and video camera settings different or the same?

Anyhow - How does the footage look to you?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am using these camera settings

I think your main issue here is focus. Tap an object (with distinct edges) in the distance to effectively get focus at infinity, no need to change this during flight.

Further, and this is only a recommendation, start with ISO 100, f5.6, None/Normal profile -1 / 0 / 0 as this should give you a good image in almost all scenarios (the exception being low light or very high contrast). Later, when needed, you can start adding filters or changing the settings, but not before you have a working baseline.

Why would you be using ND filters and then shoot at f/2.8? Makes no sense, especially with your subject matter...

Does'nt look like your out of focus too bad. You do have to tap the screen to start the focus. It's good to do it kinda frequently. Especially if you start and stop recording imo. And F2.8 will work too if that's making your shutter speed fall into a 2x your frame rate area. But this lens has a sweet spot aperture at F4 to 5.6 1/2. This is the sharpest and best this particular lens and sensor perform. So you want to try and use an ND filter that will get you in the aperture neighborhood of F4- 5.6 or so. Also, are you in D-cinelike or D-log? I think Frederick says he likes D-cinelike. He is awesome btw! That is what I have been using and is working great for me. It is still dull in color until you grade it in an editor. If your not gonna color grade it then I would shoot in the NONE color setting I think. It does a fine job of saturation ect. I have learned so much of this on here and from people like Frederick on Youtube. I really appreciate all the info that I read on here. Some very nice folks that love to help.

Reactions: Texacola
Ive said it before, and ill say it again, forget autofocus/tap to, ALWAYS use manual, set to infinity, and you CANT go wrong, unless youre shooting really close to the ground, like 15ft or closer.
If you want to play with DOF and shallowness close to the ground, then you can still use manual and set the focus.
Tap to focus is just silly, if it only had AF it would make more sense, but then again, youll risk focus chasing with fast panning objects. not even the higher end film cameras have that good AF for constant moving objects.

Ive said it before, and ill say it again, forget autofocus/tap to, ALWAYS use manual, set to infinity, and you CANT go wrong, unless youre shooting really close to the ground, like 15ft or closer.
If you want to play with DOF and shallowness close to the ground, then you can still use manual and set the focus.
Tap to focus is just silly, if it only had AF it would make more sense, but then again, youll risk focus chasing with fast panning objects. not even the higher end film cameras have that good AF for constant moving objects.
Gotcha gr8pics! And agree! The only time I had problems with focus were at night a few weeks ago. It seems as though in the dark the camera kept going back to super close up focus after each start and stop recording of pic or video. I tapped on the bright courthouse 2-3 times and those clips were good. But the other 10 clips were all way out and front focused to the max. Some have said on here that infinity is off a tad on their bird too. But I totally agree with this focal length and lens there really should not even be an option to focus this camera imo. Because it is very hard to adjust focus on something close and make a nice gradual pan up and focus follow with it imo. Just saying LOL But tap to focus has been flawless in the daytime for me lately. I'll try my manual to infinitiy and see how it is lining up though.

Reactions: gr8pics
Well I would like to thanks you all for your feedback and help. I went out again today and now I am pleased with the focus and I am starting to make progress. Dont worry about how I have stitched the movie together or the music, I am completely bad at editing, that will all come in time. I am learning the drone though, and building trust in it, which is key. Thank you all for helping me improve! Baby steps.

I think the 4K is still processing on youtube

Can anyone confirm that once you set a good manual infinity focus it will stick from power up to power up? A set it and forget it kinda thing.

Well I would like to thanks you all for your feedback and help. I went out again today and now I am pleased with the focus and I am starting to make progress. Dont worry about how I have stitched the movie together or the music, I am completely bad at editing, that will all come in time. I am learning the drone though, and building trust in it, which is key. Thank you all for helping me improve! Baby steps.

I think you're getting there. The color profiles he has suggested are really good if you're familiar with post-processing. The image I'm posting is a screen shot from that video at the 16:30 point.
Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 5.37.30 PM.png
Of course you can see the difference. The -1, -3, -2 settings are fine. Again, it'll make your shots softer and more dynamic range but it'll take some work in post to make it pop like you want it.

I always focus; several times during flight. I use the half-press of the shutter button and it'll focus where you had it last on your screen. Keep shooting. Keep an open mind for suggestions and take a look at this video.

It got me started to the right shutter speed and such. Cheers

It has done so on mine, for dozens of flights.
Really, huh. I've heard conflicting reports on that. That's great to know. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen