Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Can I use lipos with a greater than "20C" discharge rate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FlyingFanta, May 20, 2014.

1. FlyingFanta

I understand that I can't use a 4S lipo with the Phantom1.x's but would I be able to use a 25C or greater lipo?

My hope is that while I'll pay slightly more, the battery will be able to be used in more quads.

Thanks!

2. mb_guy

Re: Can I use lipos with a greater than "20C" discharge rate

Can't see that it would matter, just saying that the pack is capable of discharging higher, not that the phantom will actually push it.
    My newbe opinion.

3. ElGuano

Yes, you can use batteries with greater discharge maximum rates (higher C ratings), though it's unlikely you'll get much benefit from it. The big downside is that higher-C batteries tend to be heavier, and a lot of people don't realize that weight has a dramatic detrimental impact on flight time. So if a 20C battery weighs 30g less than a 60C battery, you're going to get almost not benefit from the higher C rating, but you'll lose about 30 seconds of flight time from the added weight.

4. FlyingFanta

Sorry I should have been clearer. I'm interested in 25C batteries not for better performance on the Phantom but so I can use it on another quad whose ESC/motor combos require a 25C. If I use 25C batteries, it can serve both quads.

My question is will this harm the Phantom? Thanks.

5. ElGuano

No, I got your meaning :) The answer is still yes, you can use higher-C batteries without harming your Phantom. You can use a 20C, 25C, 30C, 55C, 58.63C, 200C or 420C battery. It doesn't matter.

6. Gizmo3000

Then the comes the question: what other quads?
    and what other quads would require more than 20c
    .and what other quads would you want to use a 2200-2800mah 3s battery in the first place.

the answer to that is : very few.

on a larger quad, you're looking at 400-600+ grams of more weight (one that includes a gimbal and other goodies),
    using a 2200mah battery in such an application would result in a dismal flight time.
    In theory, you could run two 2200mah batteries in parallel , which would provide a bunch more power, but when you do so, you're essentially creating a 4400mah batter that's 40c (I think,. since both batteries would be discharging at the same time).

that said, there's nothing wrong with a higher C rating battery in your Phantom, it might weight more but in theory might also last a bit longer.

But if you're looking at eventually getting a bigger bird, think 4000-5000mah in 3s or 4s flavor.

7. ElGuano

Kind of. It would be a 40C if it were 2200, but it's still a 20C 4400. Double the discharge rate, same C rating.