Can I substitute a regular prop nut?

Reaction score
I crashed my Phantom a few days ago, it lost a prop and the crash messed up the ESC for the M1 motor. I replaced the ESC and everything appears to work but I'm still waiting on a nut for one prop. It was the clockwise nut so I bought some generic nuts at the hardware store just to test it out. It lifts off but wobbles very badly once in the air. I calibrated the compass before take off so I'm guessing the weight of that generic nut is causing the problem. Is this the case or should I look for something else? Thanks; Steve

I'd be looking at a bent or out of balance prop or an issue with motor. I have hardware store locking prop nuts and have zero issues with wobble.

I only have one hardware nut and the rest are the regular nuts that came with the copter. The props are new. How would I determine if it's a motor issue?

I'm wondering if the compass was damaged in the crash; like I said, I've calibrated it. Does using manual mode bypass the compass?

I used different M6 nuts on the props before. I replace them all with identical nuts just in case the weight difference affects the rotation (doubt it'd be too significant but who knows, if you use iron/steel nuts it'll be several grams heavier than alloy). Unless you're one of those guys who live on the edge with nylon nuts, low profile alloy are the lightest, followed by TI, followed by the stock dome nuts.

After a crash, make sure your IMU is recalibrated, your compass is calibrated, and manually spin your props at eye level to make sure your chassis and motor are still level. If your props aren't the same distance to the top of the hull at their closest point, your flight will be affected.

I would be checking for cracks also around motor mount holes. You got a wobble it wont be long until you have a catastrophic failure. Its not the nut, I ran one for a while without issue. Got to be props or a lose / jacked up motor.

Found my problem! When I was testing the motors I must have inadvertently set the configuration to Quad-Motor I instead of Quad-Motor X. Reset it and now all is well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sleigh said:
Found my problem! When I was testing the motors I must have inadvertently set the configuration to Quad-Motor I instead of Quad-Motor X. Reset it and now all is well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Why wouldn't the copter just keep working in that other config without wobble?

FlyingFanta said:
Sleigh said:

I dont know but I'm sure there was a reason for having different configurations. That was the problem though.

Sleigh said:
FlyingFanta said:
Sleigh said:

I dont know but I'm sure there was a reason for having different configurations. That was the problem though.

In my humble opinion nuts should be all then same... it is not definitely the main problem, but it helps to change all of them...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl