Camera Guard

I got mine earlier this week, and have to say that I'm very pleased with the workmanship. It looks professional, and is definitely an upgrade to the bird. The fit is spot on too.

One note for anyone who's using an HPRC case with their Vision+ and this as well... adding this might actually help the V+ fit into the case a little better. I noticed that installing the camera guard made the landing skids sit further apart by just a hair. It seemed rather trivial at first, but this miniscule difference was enough to provide a better fit with closing the case and having everything protected. Plus having the legs wider by this essentially imperceptible difference led to it fitting into the foam cutout a little more snugly - which provides greater confidence that everything is going to stay put as designed.

While I cannot testify to its ability to protect the camera from experience (and hope I never have to), I will say that at present my belief is that the money that went to purchase this was well spent. Thanks for coming up with this idea and producing it!

Received mine today! Looks great and fits perfectly :)

Attachments

• guard1.jpg
    guard1.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 487
  • guard2.jpg
    guard2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 424
Guard possibly saved my gimbal... see post here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19474&p=177655#p177655

NO DAMAGE TO GIMBAL AND CAMERA!!

Phantom tumbles down rocky side of mountain ridge about 15 feet or so... 3 of the 4 zip ties completely broke off. Guard was mounted on underside of phantom legs... not inside the landing 'groove'... i just realized that the guard was designed to also fit inside the groove... i will be remounting inside this groove. Guard is fully in tack... It did not break even though force was strong enough to break 3 of 4 zip ties. Impressive. My guard and camera are untouched... I so wish I had video of the actual crash... See thread above for details and link to pics...

Since 3 of my 4 ties broke in a recent crash, I'm using thicker zip ties and putting 4 on each side now...

IMAGE_168.jpg

Heavier ties are a good idea. Thanks for sharing with us. Hope there was no damage to your camera or body. I'll put heavier ties in the package in the future.

fastsmiles said:
Heavier ties are a good idea. Thanks for sharing with us. Hope there was no damage to your camera or body. I'll put heavier ties in the package in the future.

No damage to gimbal and camera... The guard wasn't damaged either... amazing when you see this thing tumble down rocks at about a 70% grade for 15-20' or so... It was an ugly site. I would include 8 thicker ties instead of 4 small ones. Today's crash definitely tells me that for this to be effective, the stronger 8 ties are a necessity... I've been wondering if it wouldn't be stronger to have it mounted like i had underneath the landing strut as opposed to inside it... It's hard to determine. Take note, that mounted inside the groove, makes it a few mm closer to the camera and if you press on it with your hand, it does flex to a point that it can touch it...

plasmo said:

Isn't the guard supposed to fit in the bottom channels of the legs, hence the notch in the middle on each side to fit around the plastic nib. Guess it will probably look better anbd also provide more rigidity if the evntual happens.

Just an observation :)

Ah, just read your post above after I submitted. Now I understand why you put it as you did. Wish we could get these in the UK.

fastsmiles said:

What are the shipping times for the camera guards? Really interested in getting one.

Thanks for getting everyone's attention on this.

wattsn said:
plasmo said:

Isn't the guard supposed to fit in the bottom channels of the legs, hence the notch in the middle on each side to fit around the plastic nib. Guess it will probably look better anbd also provide more rigidity if the evntual happens.

Just an observation :)

I did put the guard under the legs between the notches....

fastsmiles said:
srandall25-Thanks for crash testing the camera guard :lol:
haha.. i think you owe me a royalty now..j/k Happy to help boost your sales.. lol Let's just hope I don't crash test the new zip ties...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor